SCCAÂ® ProRallysm Championship Round 10 - Lake Superior DENVER, Colorado The final round of the 2002 SCCA ProRally Championship heads to far reaches of northern Michigan's copper country, a historically guaranteed location to watch some...
SCCA® ProRallysm Championship Round 10 - Lake Superior
DENVER, Colorado The final round of the 2002 SCCA ProRally Championship heads to far reaches of northern Michigan's copper country, a historically guaranteed location to watch some fast and furious action going for all the marbles in the final drivers and manufacturers championship battles of the season. Nearly 90 SCCA and FIA Performance Rally cars and competitors from across North America and the World are slated to start the Lake Superior ProRally and the supporting Ottawa and Keweenaw SCCA ClubRallys. Competition will take place on the fast flowing tarmac and gravel national forest and county roads on the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Teams can expect the lake-effect weather to range from beautiful autumn sunshine to a foot of fresh snow in a matter of hours. This performance rally event is sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). The SCCA ProRally Championship is presented by Hyundai Motor America, Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, and Subaru of America.
When & Where:
18-19 October 2002 - headquartered in Houghton, Michigan
Complete Event Schedule: (Subject to change)
Thursday, 17 October 2002
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM PRESS & VIP Registration - Franklin Square Inn, Room 625
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM Competitor Registration - Franklin Square Inn, 7th floor
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM Competitor Practice Session - Houghton County Airport
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM Scrutineering - CCISD Auto Tech, Hancock
5:00 PM - 10:00 PM Welcome Reception - Franklin Square Inn, 7th floor
8:00 PM - 10:00 PM PRESS & VIP Registration - Franklin Square Inn, Room 625
8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Competitor Registration - Franklin Square Inn, 7th floor
Friday, 18 October 2002
8:00 AM - 11:00 AM PRESS & VIP Registration - Franklin Square Inn, Room 625
8:00 AM - 11:00 AM Competitor Registration - Franklin Square Inn, 7th floor
8:00 AM - 11:00 AM Scrutineering - CCISD Auto Tech, Hancock
12:00 PM Parc Expose & Autograph Session - Ojibwe Casino, Baraga
1:15 PM Start of Rally - Ojibwe Casino, Baraga
Saturday, 19 October 2002
Approx. 1:00 AM End of Leg 1 - Houghton MTC
8:00 AM Scores posted for Leg 1 - Franklin Square Inn, 7th floor
11:00 AM Parc Expose - Quincy Mine Hoist, Hancock
12:31 PM Start of Leg 2 - Quincy Mine Hoist, Hancock
Approx. 8:30 PM Finish of Rally - Quincy Mine Hoist, Hancock
Approx. 9:00 PM Provisional Rally Scores - Franklin Square Inn, 7th floor
Approx. 9:00 PM - 12:00 AM Rally Social & Awards - MTU Memorial Union Building
Sunday, 20 October 2002
9:00 AM SCCA ProRally End-of-Year Brunch ($12 in advance) & Awards Ceremony - Franklin Square Inn, 7th floor, Superior Room
Event Rank: This rally is a full points SCCA ProRally Championship event. Drivers earn points towards the national championship, and supporting manufacturers (Hyundai, Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Mazda) earn points towards overall and class Manufacturers' Championships.
* The remaining points battles in this years championship are for the SCCA Overall Manufacturer's Championship and for FIA Group N. Second place in the Overall Driver's Championship is also up for grabs between driver rivals in the Subaru and Hyundai camps. In the marque championship, the impressively fast Hyundai Tiburons are currently on top with 121 points after Round #9 while the Subaru Impreza WRXs follow closely at 110 points. The best that 2001 Driver's Champion Mark Lovell can hope for in his Prodrive prepared Subaru Impreza WRX is a second place; but a strong finish for Mark Higgins is poised to grab that spot as he is only down to Lovell by five points.
* The Group N Championship: Current points leader Ralph Kosmides and Jimmy Brandt must manage at least a second place finish in class to win the class title over hard-charging Tim O'Neil. A mere 5 points separates the two after O'Neil's strong podium finish at Wild West.
* Jonny Milner, winner of the 2002 British Rally Championship, makes his second trip to the States, piloting a Pirelli sponsored Subaru WRX, with Nick Beech at the co-piloting controls, and Finland native Tapio Laukkanen, a seasoned and popular Group N competitor in the British Rally Championship, makes his SCCA ProRallying debut, also in a Subaru WRX.
* Local favorites: * Steve Gingras (#50) in only the second ProRally for his new Open Class 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX after jumping back into the fray halfway through the season, and series regular Doug Shepherd (#52) in his fast and vividly colored Open Class 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse with Pete Gladysz.
* Doug Havir (#88) and Scott Putnam will be renting an Open Class 1999 Subaru Impreza WRX-STi from Vermont Sports Car as their usual 2002 WRX is currently undergoing some extensive re-shelling after the team's serious terrain issues at Wild West.
* Other area notables: Group N Contenders Mark Utecht and Jeff Secor; Subaru WRX, J.B. Niday (#84) and Al Kintigh, Open Class 1997 Subaru Impreza; Bob Olson (#93) and Conrad Ketelsen, Group 5 Class 1993 Porsche 911; Bob Nielsen (#98) and Brenda Lewis, Group 2 Class 1987 VW Golf GTI; Dennis Martin (#121) and Kim DeMotte, Open Class 1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV; Tom Young (#133) and Jim LeBeau, Group 5 Class 2000 Dodge Neon; Christopher Whiteman (#143) and Mike Paulin, debut of Group 2 Class 2003 Dodge Neon SRT.
* SCCA ProRally: www.sccaprorally.org/ * SCCA Lake Superior ProRally: www.lsprorally.com/
The SCCA ProRally Championship is presented by Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Subaru, and is televised in North America on SpeedChannel. Time and date listing information available at www.speedtv.com
-scca pro rally-