SCCA ProRally Championship - Rim of the World DENVER, CO Fourth round (of ten) for the 2002 season. SCCA Performance Rally cars from across North America will compete on demanding ridgetop dirt and gravel fire control roads tracing the line of...
SCCA ProRally Championship - Rim of the World
DENVER, CO Fourth round (of ten) for the 2002 season. SCCA Performance Rally cars from across North America will compete on demanding ridgetop dirt and gravel fire control roads tracing the line of the infamous San Andreas Fault in the Angeles National Forest in southern California. Regarded as the toughest rally in the USA, it is often compared to the Acropolis Rally in Greece for its relentless, car-pounding roads. This event is sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA)
When & Where:
May 3-4, 2001; Palmdale, CA; approximately 50 miles (70 kilometers) north of Los Angeles.
Friday, May 03, 2002
1:00 PM - 5:30 PM -- Scrutineering - America's Tire Company, Hwy 14 & Avenue J, Lancaster
6:30 PM - 7:00 PM -- Parade Lap - lot adjacent to Holiday Inn, Palmdale
7:00 PM sharp -- Official Rally Start with Spectator Stage - lot adjacent to Holiday Inn
11:55 PM approx -- First car finishes Day One of rally - Holiday Inn, Palmdale
Saturday, May 04, 2002
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM -- Fund raising RallySprint event for local charity ($20US donation for rides) Parc Expose runs concurrently with this activity
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM -- Autograph session, featuring WRC Subaru driver Petter Solberg
12:00 Noon sharp -- Official day two Rally Start - Holiday Inn - includes Spectator Stage
3:10 PM approx -- Short Service break - Lake Hughes Community Club
5:30 PM approx -- Service and dinner break, re-seeding - Lake Hughes Community Club
8:00 PM sharp -- Restart day two of rally - night stages - Lake Hughes Community Club
10:00 PM approx -- First car finishes day two of Rim of the World ProRally - Holiday Inn
12:00 PM approx -- Provisional ProRally scoring posted - Holiday Inn
Sunday, May 05, 2002
8:00 - 10:00 AM -- Awards Breakfast - Holiday Inn
Selected entries (driver/co-driver):
* Current Overall Drivers Championship points leader David Higgins, 2002 Subaru WRX
* Current Manufacturers Points leaders Mark Higgins and Michael Gibson, Paul Choiniere and Jeff Becker, 2003 Hyundai Tiburons
* 2001 Overall Driver and Manufacturer Champion Mark Lovell with Steve Turvey, 2002 Subaru WRX
* Rhys Millen with Garry Cowan will debut their works backed 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII
* Rising SCCA ProRally star Mark Nelson with Charles Bradley, 2000 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI
Additional news interest:
* Former SCCA ProRally Driver's Champion Rod Millen returns to the Championship after a 10-year absence, this time joining with Mitsubishi and son Rhys Millen, forming the first three-car works team in recent USA rallying history. Rod has done well here in the past, winning the event most recently in 1991, with a 3 and a half minute margin of victory.
* Subaru World Rally Championship driver Petter Solberg will be driving the course-opening car, capping off a big weekend for the Japanese manufacturer, celebrating its first, and highly successful, year of North American sales of their streetable rally car, the WRX.
* Making their first appearances in the championship for 2002, UK based Richard Tuthill and John Bennie will be flying in, driving their US bodied Open Class Mitsubishi Mirage with Lancer Evo underpinnings. Also debuting for the 2002 season is 2001 Gr N Champion Karl Schieble, with SCCA ProRally veteran Wayne Schieble co-driving. They will be in an Open Class 2002 Subaru WRX.
This rally is a full points SCCA ProRally Championship event, and has long been a fixture of the championship, the 2001 event marks its 19th running. Drivers at this event earn points towards the national championship, and supporting manufacturers (Hyundai, Subaru, Mitsubishi and Mazda) earn points towards overall and class MFG Championships.
* SCCA ProRally: www.sccaprorally.org
* SCCA Rim of the World ProRally: www.rimoftheworldrally.com
The SCCA ProRally Championship is presented by Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Subaru, and is televised in North America on SpeedChannel. Time and date listing information available at www.speedtv.com
-scca pro rally-