America's first Rallycross to make history Top racers set to attend August's New Jersey race GOLDEN VALLEY, MN - In a game-changer for American motorsport, RallyCar is set to bring the excitement of door-to-door rallycross racing to the New...
America's first Rallycross to make history
Top racers set to attend August's New Jersey race
GOLDEN VALLEY, MN - In a game-changer for American motorsport, RallyCar is set to bring the excitement of door-to-door rallycross racing to the New Jersey Motorsports Park (NJMP) on August 28-29th, 2010.
The event is the first in a series of three rallycross events to take place at NJMP this year, and will be broadcast on ESPN2. The events will provide an exciting preview of a full, national season set for 2011. The sport debuted in America to huge raves at the 2010 X Games in Los Angeles, where it was carried live on ESPN.
Rallycross is a blend of circuit racing, off-road racing and rally competition. The sport promises intense crowd-pleasing action in a fan-friendly track environment. Five drivers line up to start at once, piloting high-horsepower compact cars through race traffic over a challenging short course that features jumps, unbanked turns, hills and transitions between pavement and gravel.
Each car must also take a "Joker" lap at some point during their heat. A Joker Lap is a small detour - often over a jump - that adds a level of unpredictability to the heat's outcome by changing a driver's strategy in an instant.
Rallycross at NJMP will be the ultimate display of driving talent with a slew of high profile personalities scheduled to attend:
* Subaru Rally Team's Travis Pastrana and Dave Mirra are scheduled to arrive with newly built rallycross cars. Both are perennial X Games megastars having just competed at X Games 16.
* Newly crowned X Games 16 gold medal winner Tanner Foust is also starting his first Rallycross event in New Jersey. Foust has been gaining valuable seat time as the first American to compete in the European Rallycross Series and looks to use his experience against his U.S. rivals.
* Monster World Rally Team's Ken Block is expected to arrive in his 2010 Ford Fiesta. Block built a name for himself as the co-founder of DC Shoes before entering rally racing. He popularized himself even further with a series of "Gymkhana" videos that has garnered over 22 million views!
* Pro drifters Rhys Millen and Stephan Verdier both had a rally competition background before moving into the judged sport of drifting and both will no doubt be favorites in competition against the clock.
* Another pro drifter, Sam Hubinette, will again team up with teammate Andrew "ACP" Comrie-Picard. Both competed at X Games 16 and each earned a bronze medal in their respective races.
Although a new racing format in America, the sport draws capacity crowds and a diverse and loyal fan base in Europe. Fans get close to the action with trackside viewing of aggressive door-to-door action and the sliding and jumping that makes rally car events unique among motorsport.
There will be two classes of cars in this initial year of Rallycross competition. The faster, all-wheel-drive cars will resemble those used in current, Open class rally competition. The other category will be two-wheel-drive and include various body styles from manufacturers such as Dodge and Honda boasting 450+ horsepower, highly modified engines and rally-style suspension.
More information, including competition format, can be found at rally-america.com/rallycross.php.
Rallycross tickets are on sale at www.NJMP.com.