Burke/Fries Dominate International Rally New York Seamus Burke/Eddie Fries (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9) totally dominated International Rally New York, leading from the first special stage to the last. Their car's transmission lost ...
Burke/Fries Dominate International Rally New York
Seamus Burke/Eddie Fries (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9) totally dominated International Rally New York, leading from the first special stage to the last. Their car's transmission lost fourth gear (of five) late in the first day, but this made no difference to the outcome.
Cyril KearneyDominik Jozwiak (Subaru Impreza) claimed second overall late in the rally, comfortably ahead of Enda McCormack/Bernard Farrell (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6).
Ill luck dogged U.S. Rally Championship leaders Celsus Donnelly/Noel Gallagher (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8). The car's ignition system gave trouble early in the event, and the team's service crew spent most of the distance trying to solve the problem, and more importantly get the car to the finish for points. They placed eighteenth.
Rafal Listopad/Amy Feisel (Volkswagen Golf) walked over the competition in the two-wheel-drive (2WD) category and placed fourth overall, even though a motor mount failed on the second day. (The team's service crew strapped the engine in place.) Hampton Bridwell/Josh Katinger (Ford Focus SVT in the Production 2WD class) were second in the 2WD category, and the top Production 2WD team. Local favorites Jay Menzo/Andrew Robert (Mazda 323) had been a solid second in the 2WD section, until the transmission suffered damage on a rock, and they were forced to nurse the car to the finish.
The route ran 400 miles through the scenic Catskill Mountains of New York State. There were 27 special stages (totaling about 100 miles), half of them on pavement and half on dirt/gravel. Conditions were generally hot and humid, apart from some rain during the final hours.
Place overall, (car no.), driver/co-driver, car
1. (2) Seamus Burke/Eddie Fries, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo
2. (8) Cyril Kearney/Dominik Jozwiak, Subaru Impreza
3. (3) Enda McCormack/Bernard Farrell, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6
4. (17) Rafal Listopad/Amy Feistel, VW Golf -- 1 st two wheel drive
5. (11) Arkadiusz Gruszka/Michal Chodan, Subaru Impreza N11
6. (15) Hampton Bridwell/Josh Katinger, Ford Focus SVT
7. (311) Simon Wright/Kieran Wright, Ford Focus ZX3
8. (20) Michael Hall/Dave Stockdill, Mitsubishi Mighty Max (pickup)
9. (22) Joao Ferreira/Aaron Crescenti, Volkswagen Golf GTi
10. (12) Michael Cosgrove/John O'Reilly, Mitsubishi Eclipse
11. (6) Martin O'Flynn/Damian Treanor, Mitsubishi Eclipse Evo 1
12. (331) Jay Menzo/Andrew Robert, Mazda 323
13. (5) Martin Donnelly/Stephen Duffy, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo
14. (1) Celsus Donnelly/Noel Gallagher, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8
Did not finish:
(7) Maciej Przybysz/Constantine Mantopoulos, Subaru Impreza
(10) Fintan Seeley/Carrie Wilburn, Subaru Impreza WRX
(18) Mark Lawrence/Robert Maciejski, Volkswagen Golf
(212) Patrick Cournane/Chris Morand, Subaru Impreza