CTS-V Race Cars Wear Cadillac Heritage Proudly More than decals, car numbers signify performance milestones DETROIT -- When Cadillac's CTS-V race cars line-up on the starting grid at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course for round 3 of the ...
CTS-V Race Cars Wear Cadillac Heritage Proudly
More than decals, car numbers signify performance milestones
DETROIT -- When Cadillac's CTS-V race cars line-up on the starting grid at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course for round 3 of the SCCA Speed World Challenge GT, the numbers they display have more meaning than just a way to tell the striking-looking cars apart.
"Cadillac has always had a reputation among auto enthusiasts for producing powerful engines," said Karen Rafferty, marketing manager for Cadillac racing. "But not many people realize the significant performance 'firsts' that Cadillac has brought to the industry. We're using the race program to show that Cadillac continues to apply the same type of creativity in order to deliver performance innovations that win over our customers."
So when it came time to choose numbers for the cars driven by professional racers Andy Pilgrim and Max Angelelli, #8 and #16 were at the top of the list. And with a third car to debut at Mid-Ohio driven by John Heinricy, the logical choice was #12. All three correspond to notable industry first engine introductions of V8, V12 and V16 engines.
1915 Cadillac unveiled the first mass-produced V8 engine. One significant innovation with the 70-horsepower, 314-cubic-inch (5.1 liter) L-head design was the thermostatic control of cooling-water circulation. The engine, multi-plate clutch and gearbox were combined in one bolted-together assembly. The United States War Department purchased over 2,000 standard Cadillac V8 models for use in Europe during World War I.
1930 Cadillac introduced the world's first V16 engine for passenger-car use. This engine featured overhead valves with hydraulic lash adjusters, twin carburetors, dual exhaust, and a beautifully finished exterior design. It delivered 160 horsepower from 452 cubic inches (7.4 liter). A V12 derivative introduced later in the same model year produced 135 horsepower from 368 cubic inches (6.0 liter). This engine paced the 1931 Indy 500.
1938 Cadillac introduced an all-new 16-cylinder design for a limited number of luxury models. This 431-cubic-inch (7.1 liter) L-head engine used twin carburetors, water pumps initiated the '50s-era horsepower war with the introduction of a modern and distributors to generate 185 horsepower.
1949 Cadillac initiated the '50s-era horsepower war with the introduction of the first overhead valve, high-compression V8 engine, rated 160 horsepower, making Cadillac the fastest passenger car in America.
1985 Cadillac introduced America's first transverse-V8, front-wheel-drive automobile. Another advanced feature in the new DeVille line was a viscous-damped, torque-converter clutch.
1992 The Northstar engine was introduced as the first step in what eventually became the Northstar System. The 4.6-liter, 32-valve V8 was first installed in the Allante and became available in other front-wheel-drive Cadillacs a year later. GM Racing, the technical arm of GM's motorsports program, developed several competition versions of the Premium V engine, including a twin-turbocharged Northstar V-8 that powered the Cadillac Northstar Le Mans Prototype in the American Le Mans Series.
2003 Cadillac introduces 1,000 horsepower Sixteen concept car. Sixteen awarded best concept of North American International Auto Show and Best Concept for Autoweek magazine.
2004 The next generation of GM V8 engines is being developed via Cadillac's CTS-V racing program.
"Cadillac is recognized as the car of choice for presidents, kings and celebrities," said Rafferty. "Now with the successful debut of the CTS-V race car, Cadillac is also the car of winning road racers."
Cadillac is a division of General Motors (NYSE: GM). General Motors, the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931.