Test Session Notes from Sebring - The 2004 Cooper Tires Championship Series unofficially got underway Monday at 9:00 a.m., with the first of three test sessions. - In a session of combined Formula Ford Zetec Championship and Formula ...
Test Session Notes from Sebring
- The 2004 Cooper Tires Championship Series unofficially got underway Monday at 9:00 a.m., with the first of three test sessions.
- In a session of combined Formula Ford Zetec Championship and Formula SCCA Championship cars, 29 cars took to the track.
- Running under overcast, but warm conditions, the opening laps featured numerous drivers becoming familiarized with their cars and the track.
- In the Zetec Championship No. 10 Burkett, No. 11 Rubenzer, No. 24 D. Prendeville, No. 25 A. Prendeville, No. 28 Pecorari, No. 31 Dona, No. 38 Rose and No. 57 Welk all contested the opening rounds at Sebring last year.
- In Formula SCCA, No. 2 Dromm, No. 13 Webb and No. 22 Potolicchio are the only drivers who have raced previously in the Cooper Series, having raced in the Zetec Championship.
- Late in the session, No. 8 White goes off-course in turn 10 and No. 77 Abbable spins in turn one, bringing out the red flag. With not enough time remaining in the session to continue after attending to the cars, the checkered flag is thrown.
- Quickest overall in the session is No. 2 Wilson, driving a Zetec Championship car, with a lap of 2:05.750 (105.924 MPH).
- Posting the fastest time in Formula SCCA was No. 26 Klein, with a lap of 2:11.256 (101.481 MPH).
- Run just prior to the lunch break, the second half-hour test session featured warmer temperatures.
- As in the first session, the second session was halted for cars off course. No. 12 Dunn was reportedly off-course in turn three, while No. 84 Van Sicklen was towed in at the end of the session.
- Once again quickest overall in the session was No. 3, with a lap of 2:05.680 (105.983 MPH).
- Posting the fastest Formula SCCA time, 13th quickest overall, was No. 97 Futrelle, who posted a time of 2:11.546 (101.257 MPH).
- The final test session of the day commenced at 4:10 p.m., with the wind steadily picking up.
- While several cars had minor excursions off-course, the only car retiring during the session, was No. 84.
- Posting the fastest time of both the session and the day, was No. 25, with a lap of 2:05.429 (106.196 MPH).
- The fastest Formula SCCA time is the session, was 2:11.425 (101.351 MPH), by No. 26.
- Testing resumes Tuesday, with two half-hour sessions, before Formula SCCA Qualifying at 5:15 p.m.
Top-10 Formula Ford Zetec Championship Times from Monday at Sebring
Andrew Prendeville 2:05.429
Bobby Wilson 2:05.607
Doug Prendeville 2:06.060
Wade Cunningham 2:06.299
Adam Pecorari 2:06.325
Steve Welk 2:07.649
Jason Bowles 2:07.777
Scott Rubenzer 2:08.619
Marshall Aiken 2:09.025
Ian Baas 2:09.245
Top-10 Formula SCCA Championship Times from Monday at Sebring
Jonathan Klein 2:11.673
Franklin Futrelle 2:11.444
Elivan Goulart 2:11.557
Chris Meredith 2:12.085
Daniel Abbale 2:12.678
Enzo Potolicchio 2:13.095
Desiderio Sartelli 2:14.045
David Webb 2:14.271
Kristoffer Szekeres 2:14.958
David Jurca 2:14.959