CAMIRAND TAKES PHOENIX F2000 POLE IN RECORD-SETTING FASHION PHOENIX, Ariz. (March 27, 1999) -- Canadian Marc-Antoine Camirand smashed the track record in qualifying for the U.S. F2000 National Championship Presented by Speedvision Round One...
CAMIRAND TAKES PHOENIX F2000 POLE IN RECORD-SETTING FASHION
PHOENIX, Ariz. (March 27, 1999) -- Canadian Marc-Antoine Camirand smashed the track record in qualifying for the U.S. F2000 National Championship Presented by Speedvision Round One race at Phoenix International Raceway.
Camirand, of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, turned a lap of 0:27.691 (130.006 mph) in the No. 96 Key Motorsports Van Diemen Ford, breaking the qualifying record of 0:28.000 (128.571 mph) set by David Besnard in 1998. This is the third career pole for the 1998 Rookie of the Year. Rolando Quintanilla, of Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, qualified second, followed by second-generation driver Mark Dismore, of Greenfield, Ind.
"I was not at Phoenix last year, so I'm very happy to qualify on the pole," said Camirand, 19. "I hope this will lead to my first victory, but F2000 is very competitive and it will be tough. The cars are better aerodynamically than last year, which accounts for the faster times."
Quintanilla will make his first-ever front row start in the No. 40 Tecate/Quaker State/Roquin Van Diemen Ford after topping the practice charts all weekend. His fastest lap of 0:27.924 (128.921 mph) was also faster than the existing qualifying record.
"I was very lucky to turn that lap because the car got very loose on the second lap," said Quintanilla, 18. "We think we could have gone a little bit faster. We wanted to try some things during practice, but with all the accidents, we ran out of time. We ran with more of a race setup, which is a good sign for tomorrow's race."
Dismore, son of Indy Racing League driver Mark A. Dismore, turned a lap of 0:28.018 (128.488 mph) in the No. 13 Monster.com Van Diemen Ford to qualify third in his F2000 debut.
"My dad gave me a few pointers on Thursday, but since then he's been pretty quiet, just standing back watching," said Dismore, 18. "The car has been good since we got here, and I wanted to qualify in the top-four and ahead of my two teammates. I've accomplished that, so the weekend has been going well so far."
Dismore's teammate Dan Wheldon, of England, and Tom Wood, of Calgary, Alberta, Canada, complete the top-five. Jon Groom, of Boonton, N.J., will start first in the "B" class for older cars, 13th overall. Aaron Justus, who had been fast in practice, failed to qualify due to a practice accident and will start 32nd.
PHEONIX, Ariz. -- Final starting order for the 50-lap, 50.0-mile U.S. F2000 National Championship Presented by Speedvision Round One race, part of the MCI WorldCom 200 Weekend at Phoenix International Raceway, with starting position, car number in parenthesis, driver, hometown, class, car, time and speed in miles-per-hour.
1. (96), Marc-Antoine Camirand, Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Can., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:27.691, 130.006.
2. (40), Rolando Quintanilla, Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:27.924, 128.921.
3. (13), Mark Dismore (R), Greenfield, Ind., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:28.018, 128.488.
4. (5), Dan Wheldon (R), England, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:28.085, 128.182.
5. (99), Tom Wood, Calgary, Alberta, Can., F2A, Tatuus Ford, 0:28.141, 127.927.
6. (14), Larry Foyt, Houston, Texas, F2A, Tatuus Ford, 0:28.238, 127.487.
7. (4), Steve Rikert, Rhineneck, N.Y., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:28.259, 127.393.
8. (7), Daniel Muniz (R), San Jose, Costa Rica, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:28.334, 127.055.
9. (66), Larry Oberto, Seattle, Wash., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:28.442, 126.573.
10. (33), Ian Lacy (R), Sonoma, Calif., F2A, Mygale Ford, 0:28.518, 126.236.
11. (19), Bobby Oergel, Fresno, Calif., F2A, Mygale Ford, 0:28.604, 125.856.
12. (8), Alejandro Garcia, Venezuela, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:28.914, 124.507.
13. (59), Jon Groom, Boonton, N.J., F2B, Van Diemen Ford, 0:28.931, 124.434.
14. (72), Jeff Glenn (R), Oakland, Calif., F2A, Carbir Ford, 0:28.965, 124.287.
15. (3), Jonathan Bottoms, Buffalo, N.Y., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:29.045, 123.945.
16. (88), Ryan Hampton, Glendora, Calif., F2A, Tatuus Ford, 0:29.066, 123.856.
17. (70), Galen Puccini (R), Simi Valley, Calif., F2A, Carbir Ford, 0:29.117, 123.639.
18. (56), Jon Herb, Indianapolis, Ind., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:29.142, 123.533.
19. (23), T.J. Bell, Sparks, Nev., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:29.154, 123.482.
20. (42), Brendan Kerin (R), Port Hope, Ontario, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:29.155, 123.478.
21. (32), Ennis Bragg, Swainsboro, Ga., F2B, Van Diemen Ford, 0:29.236, 123.135.
22. (77), Harold Primat (R), New York, N.Y., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:29.363, 122.603.
23. (87), David Bleke, Whiteland, Ind., F2A, Tatuus Ford, 0:29.373, 122.561.
24. (98), Paul Marciano, Glendale, Ariz., F2B, Vector Ford, 0:29.629, 121.502.
25. (35), Arnold Brinkmann (R), Miami, Fla., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:29.870, 120.522.
26. (27), Scott Dick, Cincinnati, Ohio, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:30.301, 118.808.
27. (57), Michael Simpson (R), Apple Valley, Calif., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:30.338, 118.663.
28. (21), Richard Zimmerman (R), Oceanside, Calif., F2A, Paterson Ford, 0:31.072, 115.859.
29. (29), Kyle Burts (R), Tomball, Texas, F2B, Van Diemen Ford, 0:32.913, 109.379.
30. (6), Andy Paterson, San Marcos, Calif., F2A, Paterson Ford, no time.
31. (10), Andy Lally, Northport, N.Y., F2A, Bowman Ford, no time.
32. (24), Aaron Justus, Vista, Calif., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, no time.
33. (49), Greg Pizzo (R), San Jose, Calif., F2B, Van Diemen Ford, no time.