ALL AL-ANABI ALL THE TIME; WORSHAM WINS SECOND STRAIGHT ALL AL-ANABI FINAL
TORRANCE, Calif. (May 1, 2011) – For the second consecutive NHRA Top Fuel event it was an all Al-Anabi Toyota final and for the second straight race it was Del Worsham earning the victory in the O’Reilly Auto Parts Nationals at the Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown, Texas. The win is the sixth straight for a Toyota-sponsored car in Top Fuel competition.
After a 15-year absence from the Top Fuel ranks, Worsham has registered three victories in the season’s first five races. Worsham earlier had won the Gatornationals in March and at Charlotte two weeks ago. He also has advanced to the semi-finals or beyond in each of the season’s first five events.
Worsham and Dixon finishing one-two completed a second consecutive dominating weekend by the Al-Anabi team where both drivers advanced to the finals. The two Al-Anabi Toyota dragsters have now won 12 consecutive elimination rounds and rank one-two in the Top Fuel point standings with Worsham maintaining a commanding 95-point advantage over Dixon.
After qualifying fifth, Antron Brown advanced to the second round today before being eliminated by Dixon. He maintains the third position in the point race. Morgan Lucas also was eliminated in the second round today. Shawn Langdon did not qualify for the event after oiling the track on his final run of qualifying.
In Funny Cars, Cruz Pedregon earned the number three qualifying position, his fifth consecutive top-five qualifying effort this season, but was unable to get a clean run and was eliminated in a first-round upset.
The NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series will head to the Atlanta Dragway for round six of the championship - the Summit Southern Nationals, May 13-15.
2011 Wins (5) – Morgan Lucas (1) – Pomona; Del Worsham (3) – Gainesville, Charlotte; Houston; Antron Brown (1) – Las Vegas
2011 Poles (4) - Larry Dixon (2): Pomona, Las Vegas; Del Worsham (1): Charlotte; Cruz Pedregon (1) – Pomona
- Del Worsham’s victory today is his third of the season and the 28th overall of his NHRA career with 25 of those coming in Funny Car competition.
- Del Worsham has now made it to the semi-finals or finals in each of the season’s first five races. Worsham returned to the Top Fuel ranks this season for the first time since 1995.
- Larry Dixon’s appearance in the finals today is his second in a row and the 106th career Top Fuel final.
- The victory for Al-Anabi Racing today is the team’s 14th in the last 24 races. It also marks the team’s second straight at Houston with Larry Dixon winning at the Royal Purple Raceway last season.
- Toyota-sponsored Top Fuel drivers occupy the top three spots and five of the top eight in the point standings with Del Worsham first, Larry Dixon second, Antron Brown in third, Morgan Lucas in seventh and Shawn Langdon currently in eighth-place.
- Toyota-sponsored Top Fuel cars have won 17 of the last 24 NHRA Top Fuel events and nine of the last 12.
- Despite being eliminated in the first round today, Cruz Pedregon remains comfortably in the top-five overall at fourth after five events – just 41 points out of third-place.
-source: toyota motorsports