TOP FUEL * Melanie Troxel won her first event title since Las Vegas 2006 in her second final round of the season (Phoenix), driving her Vietnam Veteran/POW MIA dragster to a 4.741-second finish at 274.33 mph. Cory McClenathan finished second...
* Melanie Troxel won her first event title since Las Vegas 2006 in her second final round of the season (Phoenix), driving her Vietnam Veteran/POW MIA dragster to a 4.741-second finish at 274.33 mph. Cory McClenathan finished second with a 5.355 at 254.52 in his FRAM dragster.
* It was Troxel's third career win and her first in St Louis.
* It was a tough first round for the top seeds, with heavy-hitters Tony Schumacher, the defending event winner, Doug Kalitta, J.R. Todd and Brandon Bernstein all falling in the opening session. Surprise advancers included Clay Millican (def. Schumacher) and Bruce Litton (def. Bernstein). Larry Dixon sent Todd packing.
* DNQ's for the event included: Morgan Lucas; Scott Weis; Mike Strasburg; Whit Bazemore; and Alan Bradshaw.
* Sunday's opening line-up was set on two qualifying sessions after persistent rain and high humidity forced cancellation of Friday's rounds.
* Rod Fuller retained the POWERade Series points lead, with a 23-point edge over Brandon Bernstein.
* Fuller earned the NHRA Top Fuel Shootout award for qualifying No. 1 in his Fabick Caterpillar dragster.
* Brandon Bernstein and his Budweiser dragster crew earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.
* Ron Capps drove his Brut Revolution Dodge Charger to his third win of the season (Gainesville, Houston), the 25th of his career and his third at Gateway International Raceway. He defeated Del Worsham in only the second meeting between the two. They are now 1-1.
* Capps piloted his ride to a 4.882 at 305.98 over Worsham, who drove his Checker Schuck's Kragen Chevy to a 4.918 at 308.50. He now has a 120-point lead over Robert Hight in the POWERade Series standings.
* Ashley Force narrowly missed becoming the first woman to advance to a final round in Funny Car in her Castrol GTX Ford Mustang, defeating Jerry Toliver and Tommy Johnson Jr. along the way.
* John Force earned his first round win of the season when he defeated Jeff Arend with a 4.824 at 321.35 in his Castrol High-Mileage Ford Mustang.
* DNQ's included: Jim Head; Jack Beckman; and Kenny Bernstein.
* Mike Ashley earned the Skoal Showdown award for qualifying No.1 in his Torco/Skull Gear Dodge Charger R/T, recording a 4.799 at 331.77.
* Capps and his Brut Revolution crew earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.
* Dave Connolly joined his father in the winner's circle when he drove his Torco/ Slammers Chevy Cobalt to a 6.663 at 206.99 over teammate Jeg Coughlin.
* Connolly earned his first win since Brainerd 2006, the 10th of his career and his first in St. Louis. His father Ray won in Super Gas.
* Rookie Justin Humphreys sent reigning POWERade Series world champion Jason Line packing in the first round, earning his first career round win in the POWERade Series. Humphreys made the jump from the NHRA Xplod Sport Compact Series this season. He defeated Warren Johnson in the second round, before falling to eventual winner Connolly in the semifinals.
* DNQ's included: Richie Stevens Jr.; Greg Stanfield; Ron Krisher; Rodger Brogdon; Steve Schmidt; Dave Northrop; Kevin Lawrence; Tony Rizzo; Bill Windham; Jerry Haas; and Bill Shorts.
* Greg Anderson earned the NHRA King Demon Crown award for qualifying No.1 in his Summit Racing Pontiac GTO with a 6.676 at 207.69.
* Coughlin defeated Anderson by a .0065-second margin of victory in the semifinal round of Pro Stock eliminations to earn the $1,000 Motel 6 "Who Got the Light" award.
* Connolly and his Torco/Slammers Chevy crew earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.
PRO STOCK MOTORCYCLE
* Matt Smith earned the maximum 138 points for winning the event, qualifying No.1 and setting the national record with his winning pass of 6.901 at 191.78 on his Torco Race Fuels Buell. Smith defeated Angelle Sampey, who turned in a 7.132 at 162.67 on her U.S. Army Suzuki.
* Smith now sits atop the POWERade Series point standings, with a 53-point lead over Karen Stoffer. It was his first win of 2007, the third of his career and his first in St. Louis.
* The Pro Stock Motorcycle qualifying field included four women -- the most in NHRA POWERade Series history. Riders included NHRA's winningest female, Angelle Sampey, Karen Stoffer, Peggy Llewellyn and Angie McBride.
* DNQ's included: Marco Andreano; Matt Guidera; Geno Scali; Barry Henson; Mike Berry; Angie McBride; Joe DeSantis; and Brian DeLong.
* Smith won the Ringers Gloves Pro Bike Battle award for qualifying No.1 on his Torco Race Fuels Buell, with a 6.970 at 190.27.
* Chip Ellis and his Drag Specialties crew earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.
POWERADE FAN NATIONALS
* Chris Kesel, 13, of Nashville, Ill., defeated hundreds of fan participants to become the local POWERade Fan Nationals Event Champion for the O'Reilly NHRA Midwest Nationals. Kesel, a driver in the O'Reilly Auto Parts Jr. Dragster League, will travel to Auto Club Raceway at Pomona to compete for the ultimate 2007 POWERade Fan Nationals title in November.