OPENING DAY OF LUCAS OIL SERIES CUT SHORT AT SOUTH GEORGIA MOTORSPORTS PARK CECIL, Ga. (Friday, April 3, 2009) -- Qualifying and time trials were cut short in the first day of action at South Georgia Motorsports Park's NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing...
OPENING DAY OF LUCAS OIL SERIES CUT SHORT AT SOUTH GEORGIA MOTORSPORTS PARK
CECIL, Ga. (Friday, April 3, 2009) -- Qualifying and time trials were cut short in the first day of action at South Georgia Motorsports Park's NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event. Heavy rain in the area in the days prior to the event caused water to seep through the track and SGMP and division officials were forced to pull the plug and make a fresh start on Saturday.
The only qualifying that was complete today was in Super Stock and Stock Eliminator. Bobby Dennis of Shorter, Ala., leads the Super Stock category in his '91 Calais while Bud Rowe, Bridgeton, N.C., drove his '89 Camaro Stocker to the top of the field.
Qualifying and time trials will continue Saturday and eliminations will start Sunday at South Georgia Motorsports Park. Gates open at 8 a.m. both days. Final qualifying and time trials are scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. Saturday and eliminations start Sunday morning at 9. Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car will run first round at 1 p.m.
Tickets for the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event at South Georgia Motorsports Park are $5 both days, through the spectator gate only. For more information call the track, (229) 896-7000, or visit www.sgmpracing.com.
South Georgia Motorsports Park is located 12 miles north of Valdosta, Ga. Take I-75 (from north or south) to Exit 32, Old Coffee Road. Take Old Coffee Road east to Highway 41. Go north to the track.
The following are Friday's qualifying results from shortened session at the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event at South Georgia Motorsports Park:
1) Bobby Dennis, Shorter, Ala., '91 Calais, GT/MA, 10.778 seconds, -1.272
2) Jerry Silveus, Van Buren, Ohio, '05 Cavalier, GT/DA, 9.557, -1.243
3) Jack Huff, Nashville, Tenn., '85 Camaro, SS/KA, 10.331, -1.219
4) Bo Butner, Georgetown, Ind., '09 Cobalt, SS/DM, 8.861, -1.189
5) Jonathan Richardson, Lexington, N.C., '67 Camaro, SS/AS, 8.763, -1.137
6) Jeff Adkinson, Damascus, Ga., '09 Cobalt, SS/DM, 8.963, -1.087
7) Terry Pearson, Spanish Fort, Ala., '05 Cavalier, GT/CA, 9.624, -1.076
8) Mike Crutchfield, Montgomery, Ala., '08 G5, SS/DM, 8.992, -1.058
9) Gary Coccaro, Panama City, Fla., '05 Sunfire, SS/BS, 8.913, -1.037
10) James Hill, Fayetteville, Ga., '65 Mustang, SS/K, 10.361, -0.939
1) Bud Rowe, Bridgeton, N.C., '94 Camaro, C/SA, 10.539 seconds, -1.161
2) Randy Harrison, Orlando, Fla., '89 Camaro, K/SA, 11.823, -1.127
3) Butch Payne, Rome, Ga., '98 Firebird, E/SA, 10.916, -1.084
4) Mary Meints, Panama City Bch, Fla., '86 Camaro, F/SA, 11.125, -1.025
5) Greg Rowe, Bridgeton, N.C., '89 Camaro, K/SA, 11.932, -1.018
6) David Toren, Sugar Hill, Ga., '67 Mustang, D/SA, 10.836, -1.014
7) Jim Wahl, Deltona, Fla., '78 Road Runner, H/SA, 11.437, -1.013
8) Tom Stevenson, Flowery Branch, Ga., '69 Camaro, G/SA, 11.288, -1.012
9) John Livingston, Murfreesboro, Tenn., '90 Camaro, J/SA, 11.755, -0.995
10) Brandon Wood, Thomasville, Ga., '69 Nova, B/SA, 10.569, -0.981