Gann Pumped for Trip to Norwalk After back-to-back first-round exits, four-time winner ready for luck to change Norwalk, Ohio -- After opening the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Series Pro Stock Motorcycle season with a trip to the semifinals in ...
Gann Pumped for Trip to Norwalk
After back-to-back first-round exits, four-time winner ready for luck to change
Norwalk, Ohio -- After opening the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Series Pro Stock Motorcycle season with a trip to the semifinals in Gainesville, Shawn Gann and the XTreme Rebellion/RumBum team thought it was going to be a career season. While the team has made positive stride with its Buell this year, back-to-back first-round losses in Joliet and Englishtown has Gann sitting ninth in the standings, a single point behind Steve Johnson.
Gann, a four-time Nationals event winner in the PSM class, looks for his luck to change this weekend at the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk. Despite not having raced here since 2007 and chalking up a DNQ during that event, Gann is a huge fan of both the facility and its fans.
"Norwalk is awesome!" said the North Carolina native. "Everbody within a 150-mile radius will be in the gates. There's no question. If you live anywhere near Norwalk, you're going to the track. That's just what they do. They call (Charlotte) NASCAR Country, but (Norwalk) is like Race Land."
Gann and the rest of the NHRA Full Throttle Series Pro Stock Motorcycle class qualify for Sunday's eliminations for the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals Friday at 3:30 p.m. EST and again at 6:30 p.m. Saturday's qualifying for the bikes is scheduled to start at 12:10 p.m. with the second round starting at 2:05 p.m. Sunday's eliminations begin at 11 a.m.
SHAWN GANN FAST FACTS:
* Gann is a four-time Nationals event winner in the NHRA Full Throttle Series Pro Stock Motorcycle class: Joliet, Denver (2004); Englishtown (2003); Las Vegas (2001)
* Gann has earned five career top qualifier awards: Las Vegas (2006); Englishtown, Madison (2003); Houston, Pomona (2002)
* Gann's career round wins record is 116-113, including 12 final round appearances
* Gann round win record in 2009 is 4-6
* Last year at this event, Gann lost to Angelle Sampey in the first round
* Gann's highest finish in the year-end points standings in the Pro Stock Motorcycle class is third (2003) on the strength of one win, one runner-up, and a final round win record of 21-14
* Won the Ringers Gloves Pro Bike Battle at the U.S. Nationals at Indy (2001)
* Gann's career-best speed is 193.65 (Houston, 2006) and career-best ET is 6.952 (Reading, 2006)