Festive Cruise-in Kicks-off 4th NHRA Holley National Hot Rod Reunion, Thurs., June 15 150-plus Cool Cars on Display at Holiday Inn to Start Father's Day Weekend Event BOWLING GREEN, Ky. ^S (June 13, 2006) ^S The convention center parking...
Festive Cruise-in Kicks-off 4th NHRA Holley National Hot Rod Reunion, Thurs., June 15
150-plus Cool Cars on Display at Holiday Inn to Start Father's Day Weekend Event
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. ^S (June 13, 2006) ^S The convention center parking lot at the Holiday Inn University Plaza will be transformed into a giant car show on Thursday to help kickoff the 4th annual Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion, presented by DuPont Automotive Finishes. The "Holley Pre-event Cruise-in" will feature more than 150 colorful hot rods and muscle cars, and serve as the opening ceremonies for the popular Reunion, set for June 16-18 at Beech Bend.
The Cruise-in, where the traditional ribbon-cutting ceremony will take place, is open to all cars registered for the Reunion. Festivities begin at 4 p.m. City officials, along with representatives from event sponsor Holley will be there to cut the tape and choose their favorite cars for awards. A DJ will provide entertainment. The event is set to end at 10 p.m.
"There will be lots of excitement and great cars," said Bob Daniels, Reunion event director. "It'll be great family fun."
Daniels is encouraging residents of Bowling Green to "Come on down to the Holiday Inn and check out the hot rods. Bring the kids for a great night out and be part of the kick-off festivities of the NHRA Holley National Hot Rod Reunion. There's nothing else like it."
The Cruise-in is sponsored by Bowling Green Area Convention and Visitor's Bureau, Daniels said. Vicki Hawkins-Fitch, director of the Bureau, will be on hand to choose one of the evening's top vehicles. The winners will receive their trophies during the Friday night Reunion reception at the Holiday Inn.
"I urge all those who registered vehicles to bring out your pride and joy and show it off," said Daniels. "Why else did you build it? We all want to see what you've got."
The 4th annual Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion, presented by DuPont Automotive Finishes, June 16-18 at Beech Bend Park in Bowling Green, Ky., is a 3-day festival of speed, hot rods and American automotive enthusiasm. Produced by the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum, presented by the Automobile Club of Southern California and located in Pomona, Calif., the Reunion is part of the museum's "living history" philosophy, which works to bring to life the sights, sounds and people who made history in the early days of drag racing, land speed racing and the golden age of American car culture.
Unique among motorsports events, the Reunion honors some of the top names in hot rodding from the past and features a fabulous array of cool drag cars, street rods and customs of the historic and present-day hot rod eras.
General admission/pit pass, per person: Friday, $10; Saturday, $20; Sunday, $20. Children 15 and under are free when accompanied by an adult.
This year's honorees are Malcolm Durham, Bobby Langley, Gene and Ron Logghe, Jim Farr and Bill Roell ^S known as "Short Round and Dauber" ^S and Mike Spitzer. The Justice Brothers Reunion Spotlight award will shine on Top Fuel Pioneer Motorcycles. Those honored will be feted at a reception open at no charge to the general public.
The Reunion features a wide variety of activities and events, including:
* Hot Heads Eliminator NHRA vintage drag racing, featuring some the sport's most famous and historic cars and drivers, racing in such classes at Top Fuel, Supercharged Gassers, classic Funny Cars and Super Stocks
* Street rod "show and shine," presented by SoffSeal, with more than a thousand gleaming pre-1972 hot rods, custom cars, classics and muscle cars. "Memory Lane" will have a display of nostalgic race cars.
* National Hot Rod Reunion Reception, held at the Holiday Inn University Plaza's Bowling Green Convention Center ballroom on Friday evening, June 16. Open to everyone at no charge, it's a tribute to the Reunion's Grand Marshal and Honorees and a chance for fans to meet some of drag racing's heroes.
* Parish Heacock Pit Pass Barbeque on Saturday afternoon, June 17, in a special tent.
* Cacklefest on Saturday evening, where nitro-burning historic, front-engine top-fuel dragsters and other classic race cars are push started just like in the "old days."
* The Swap meet and Reunion Midway filled with manufacturer exhibits and demonstrations
* A separate amusement park with rides and games for all ages, including a brand-new roller coaster, adjacent to the park.