Crunch Time for Thacker With the Division 3 championship on their mind, Marty Thacker and the Rapid Transit Race Team will head to Beech Bend Raceway Park in Bowling Green, Kentucky this weekend. They are currently sitting in second place, but...
Crunch Time for Thacker
With the Division 3 championship on their mind, Marty Thacker and the Rapid Transit Race Team will head to Beech Bend Raceway Park in Bowling Green, Kentucky this weekend. They are currently sitting in second place, but if they can finish strong the rest of the season they may be able to earn their second Divisional crown in the last three years.
"It's crunch time and the whole team is feeling the pressure. If we can finish strong we have a good chance at re-claiming the Division 3 Championship and finishing in the top 5 Nationally. A weak finish is not an option. This team never fails to impress me when the pressure is on. I am truly blessed, not only to have the ability and backing to chase my dream of being a racing champion, but to be surrounded by a great bunch who never cry "uncle". If the new tune-up continues to progress, and the driver doesn't make too many mistakes, we should be tough," said Thacker.
"The competition in this division is really tough. We have some of the best cars in the country to compete with each weekend and we have hung in their all season. Now it is time for us to finish. It is going to be a hot one, so the track is going to be tricky, but I know my Knoll Gas -- Torco Racing Fuels Team will be up to the challenge."
Qualifying action begins at 5 PM on Friday. On Saturday the Team will get 2 more shots to make the 8 car field at 1:00 and 4:30 PM. Final eliminations for the event will begin at 1 PM on Sunday following the opening ceremonies.
* Thacker has been to 5 final rounds this season and earned two wins. He is currently sitting in sixth place in the National points standings.
* Thacker currently sits in second place in the Divisional points standings. * The Team went to three final rounds last year and earned one win at the prestigious Jeg's All-Star event in Joliet, Illinois. This year, Thacker went to the final round of the Jeg's event, but missed out on a second straight victory by just inches. He currently leads the Division 3 points chase to represent Division 3 in the race in 2008.
* The Team set a personal best ET of 5.26 at the TORCO Racing Fuels National event in Richmond, Virginia the end of last season.
* The 2005 Division 3 Champions finished 3rd in the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series points standings and finished in 16th place nationally in 2006.
* The Team, based out of Robinson, Illinois, has won 5 UDRA National Championships and 2 NHRA Divisional championships.