2002 NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series championship scenarios The following is the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series championship outlook for the upcoming ACDelco Las Vegas NHRA Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. All four pro ...
2002 NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series championship scenarios
The following is the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series championship outlook for the upcoming ACDelco Las Vegas NHRA Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. All four pro category titles could be decided at the event, the 22nd of 23 races for the season. The following lists each contending driver's point total entering the event and maximum point potential in Las Vegas, including point totals for qualifying No. 1 (8 points), and points following each elimination round, as well as bonus points for setting a national record. The maximum number of points that can be earned in a single NHRA national event is 138. In order to clinch the championship at the ACDelco Las Vegas NHRA Nationals, a driver needs to lead his or her category by 139 points or more at the conclusion of the race. <pre> Category/Driver Pre +DNQ *Qfy. 1st 2nd Semi R/U Win ^Rec.
TOP FUEL Larry Dixon 1797 1807 1815 1835 1855 1875 1895 1915 1935 Kenny Bernstein 1689 1699 1707 1727 1747 1767 1787 1807 1827
FUNNY CAR John Force 1543 1553 1561 1581 1601 1621 1641 1661 1681 Tony Pedregon 1530 1540 1548 1568 1588 1608 1628 1648 1668
PRO STOCK Jeg Coughlin 1478 1488 1496 1516 1536 1556 1576 1596 1616 Jim Yates 1370 1380 1388 1408 1428 1448 1468 1488 1508 Greg Anderson 1282 1292 1300 1320 1340 1360 1380 1400 1420
PRO STOCK BIKE Angelle Savoie 1191 1201 1209 1229 1249 1269 1289 1309 1329 Craig Treble 1018 1028 1036 1056 1076 1096 1116 1136 1156
</pre> + DNQ=Did not qualify. If a driver fails to qualify he or she will earn 10 points for the event.
* Based on No. 1 qualifying points (8) for each driver with 10-point bonus for making a qualifying attempt also included. Qualifying points range from 1-8 for a 16-car field and will need to be adjusted as necessary for each driver following qualifying at the event.
^ Drivers can earn a 20-point bonus for setting an NHRA national elapsed time record.
POWERade Drag Racing Series championship breakdown:
* In Top Fuel, Larry Dixon needs to earn 31 points (about a round and a half)more than Kenny Bernstein at the event to clinch the championship.
* Funny Car is the category that is most unlikely to be decided in Las Vegas. However, should Tony Pedregon fail to qualify, John Force could possibly clinch the championship by qualifying No. 1, winning the race and setting a national elapsed time record.
* In Pro Stock, Jeg Coughlin needs to earn 31 points (about a round and a half) more than Jim Yates at the event to clinch the championship.
* In Pro Stock Bike, Craig Treble needs to qualify in the top half of the field and go two rounds more than Angelle Savoie to extend the championship chase.