Fast Facts & Figures on Kurt Johnson's Win at The O'Reilly Midwest NHRA Nationals Sugar Hill, Ga., May 6, 2008 -- The following are a few facts and figures surrounding Kurt Johnson and the ACDelco Cobalt Racing team's victory this weekend at...
Fast Facts & Figures on Kurt Johnson's Win at The O'Reilly Midwest NHRA Nationals
Sugar Hill, Ga., May 6, 2008 -- The following are a few facts and figures surrounding Kurt Johnson and the ACDelco Cobalt Racing team's victory this weekend at the O'Reilly Midwest NHRA Nationals in Madison, IL. After qualifying fifth, Johnson defeated Todd Hoerner, Jeg Coughlin, V. Gaines and David Connolly en route to his first win of the 2008 POWERade Drag Racing Season.
* This was the 37th national event win of Kurt's Pro Stock career, tying him with Funny Car standouts Gary Scelzi and Tony Pedregon for 13th in career victories among all professional classes.
* KJ's 37 career national event wins rank fifth among all time Pro Stock winners.
* This was Kurt's third national event win at Gateway International Raceway, which is the most by a competitor in the Pro Stock Car category, breaking a tie with his father Warren Johnson and Ron Krisher. This also ties Kurt with Doug Kalitta (Top Fuel), Ron Capps (Funny Car) and Angelle Sampey (Pro Stock Motorcycle) for the most by a professional competitor in Madison.
* Kurt's win allowed him to extend his streak of scoring at least one win per season to fourteen, the longest active streak in Pro Stock, and second behind John Force's run of 21 years. However, KJ's effort is currently the longest active streak, as Force has yet to reach the winner's circle in 2008.
* KJ's yearly win streak began on July 23, 1995, when he defeated Jim Yates in the final round of the Mile-High Nationals in Denver, CO.
* During the 14-year span, Kurt has posted 34 wins in 62 final round appearances.
* This was Kurt's first win since February 2007 at the Checker Schuck's Kragen Nationals in Phoenix, AZ.
* This win was also Kurt's 27th in a Chevrolet, breaking a tie with the legendary Lee Shepherd for the most by a Chevy racer in the Pro Stock category.
* During his Chevrolet tenure, the ACDelco driver has carded wins behind the wheel of Camaros (11 wins from 1998-2000), Cavaliers (7 wins from 2001 to early 2005) and Cobalts (9 wins and counting from early 2005 to present).
* This was Kurt's fourth win from the fifth starting position.
* Kurt's 6.581-second elapsed time represented a career-best, bettering his 6.598-second mark from the day before. Entering the Madison race, Kurt's career-best elapsed time was 6.611-seconds, set in Reading 2007.
* Kurt's 209.39 mph top speed in qualifying (which was the top speed of the event in Pro Stock) was also a career best, besting his 209.26 mph mark from Richmond in 2006.
* This was also KJ's 69th career final round appearance, and second of the 2008 season.
* Kurt's .0001-second margin of victory over defending Pro Stock champion Jeg Coughlin was the closest in the POWERade Drag Racing Series since the 2001 season.
Incidentally, ESPN2 will broadcast a repeat of Sunday's final eliminations from 3:30 -- 5:30 a.m. (ET) on Wednesday, May 7.