NHRA POWERADE SERIES POST RACE NOTES: 28th annual Mopar Mile-High Nationals July 13-15, Bandimere Speedway, Denver, Colo. TOP FUEL * Rod Fuller won his second event of the season (Phoenix) in ...
NHRA POWERADE SERIES POST RACE NOTES: 28th annual Mopar Mile-High Nationals
July 13-15, Bandimere Speedway, Denver, Colo.
* Rod Fuller won his second event of the season (Phoenix) in his fourth final round appearance of 2007, driving his Wagner CAT dragster to a 4.683-second finish at 312.93 mph.
* Whit Bazemore finished second in his first career final round appearance in Top Fuel in his Matco Tools dragster.
* It was a tough first round for the top seeds, with No. 1 qualifier Melanie Troxel, Bob Vandergriff, Doug Herbert, Clay Millican, Cory McClenathan, Doug Kalitta, Morgan Lucas, and Brandon Bernstein all falling in the opening session.
* DNQ's for the event included: Rob Passey
* Rod Fuller secured a 2nd round finish to hold his POWERade points lead.
* Melanie Troxel earned the NHRA Top Fuel Shootout award for qualifying No. 1 in his Vietnam Veterans/POW-MIA dragster with a 4.610 and 322.42 run.
* Tony Schumacher and his U.S. Army dragster crew earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.
* "Fast" Jack Beckman drove his Mail Terminal Services Dodge Charger to his first season win and second career win in Funny Car.
* Beckman piloted his ride to a 4.932 at 312.86 over Ron Capps' Brut Revolution Dodge Charger.
* It was a tough first round for the top seeds, with defending event winner Gary Scelzi, Mike Ashley, Kenny Bernstein, Tommy Johnson Jr., Del Worsham, Jim Head, Tony Bartone, and Gary Densham all falling in the opening session.
* DNQ's included: Ashley Force, Cruz Pedregon, and Tim Wilkerson
* Robert Hight earned the Skoal Showdown award for qualifying No.1 in his Auto Club Ford Mustang with a 4.862 and 314.02 run.
* Robert Hight and his Auto Club Ford Mustang crew earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.
* Allen Johnson grabbed his first win of 2007 with a 7.132-second run at 192.47 mph over Kenny Koretsky.
* Koretsky collect his first runner-up finish of the season in his first final round appearance since Phoenix 2005.
* First round loses include defending event winner Dave Connolly, Jason Line, Larry Morgan, Max Naylor, Erica Enders, Jim Yates, Justin Humphreys, and Greg Stanfield.
* DNQ's included: V Gaines, Ben Watson, and Tony Rizzo
* Allen Johnson earned the NHRA King Demon Crown award for qualifying No.1 in his J&J/Team Mopar Stratus with a 7.032 and 195.73 run.
* Jeg Coughlin and his Jegs.com Chevy Cobalt crew earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.
PRO STOCK MOTORCYCLE
* Matt Smith grabbed his second win of the season (St. Louis) in his sixth final round appearance of 2007 with a 7.400 -second run at 177.81 mph over Angelle Sampey.
* First round loses include current points leader Greg Anderson, V Gaines, Warren Johnson, Jason Line, Ron Krisher, Richie Stevens Jr., Steve Schmidt, and Max Naylor.
* DNQ's included: defending event winner Andrew Hines, Chris Rivas, Michael Phillips, Craig Treble, Steven Johnson, Hector Arana, Peggy Llewellyn, and Mike Berry.
* Matt Smith earned the Ringers Gloves award for qualifying No.1 in his Torco Race Fuels Buell with a 7.347 and 180.24 run.
* Matt Smith and his Torco Race Fuels Buell crew earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.
POWERADE FAN NATIONALS
* Michael Macy, 24, of Ft. Collins, Colo., beat out hundreds of local fans to win the POWERade Fan Nationals event title. At every event, local fans compete against each other to win a trip to the Auto Club NHRA Finals in Pomona, Calif. in November. With the win, Macy was able to stand in the POWERade Series winner's circle with the professional winners of the Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals.