Sarver takes the White Cap Celica to the finals at Dallas. Â· White Cap Toyota Celica Funny Car driver Bruce Sarver parlayed a weekend of sub-5 second runs to reach the Finals at the O'Reilly Fall Nationals at the Texas Motorplex outside of...
Sarver takes the White Cap Celica to the finals at Dallas.
· White Cap Toyota Celica Funny Car driver Bruce Sarver parlayed a weekend of sub-5 second runs to reach the Finals at the O'Reilly Fall Nationals at the Texas Motorplex outside of Dallas. A mechanical failure at the starting line ended a great weekend in frustration and kept Sarver and the White Cap Celica from earning their first victory of the 2002 season.
· It was Sarver's fourth visit to the Finals this year since taking over the helm of the White Cap Celica Funny Car in the eighth race of the season in May (Englishtown, N.J., Columbus, Ohio, Seattle and Dallas). The Celica also reached the Finals in Gainesville, Fla., with Gary Scelzi behind the wheel.
· In qualifying on Friday, Sarver ran a 4.798-second quarter-mile pass at 320.39 mph to claim the second position behind Tony Pedregon. It was a career-best speed for the Bakersfield, Calif. native, besting a 318.02-mph pass last year in Las Vegas.
· Sarver consistently had the White Cap Celica Funny Car among the quickest cars on the track with passes of 4.798, 4.822, 4.837, and 4.857 seconds. Only once did he not run the Celica Funny Car in less than five seconds over the three-day event.
· With the final-round appearance this weekend, Sarver has scored 821 points this season, the fifth most in the Funny Car class since his mid-season debut at Englishtown, N.J. Despite missing the first seven races of 2002, Sarver is currently 11th overall in the Funny Car standings.
· The White Cap Toyota Celica Funny has scored 1122 points in its inaugural NHRA POWERade drag racing season with both Bruce Sarver and Gary Scelzi, which is fifth most in the Funny Car class overall in 2002.