GOODYEAR FAST FACTS FOR THE PONTIAC EXCITEMENT NATIONALS NATIONAL TRAIL RACEWAY -- QUARTER-MILE DRAGSTRIP HEBRON, OHIO, JUNE 15-18, 2000 NOTES AND QUOTES: * The Pontiac Excitement Nationals outside of Columbus, Ohio, will be the second event...
GOODYEAR FAST FACTS FOR THE PONTIAC EXCITEMENT NATIONALS
NATIONAL TRAIL RACEWAY -- QUARTER-MILE DRAGSTRIP
HEBRON, OHIO, JUNE 15-18, 2000
NOTES AND QUOTES:
* The Pontiac Excitement Nationals outside of Columbus, Ohio, will be the second event in 2000 where all 13 NHRA classes will compete. Atlanta was the first event where all 13 classes competed together. Goodyear will be represented in the four of the five Winston Pro classes, two Federal-Mogul and six Sportsman classes competing at Columbus. Those include the Federal-Mogul Dragster, Federal-Mogul Funny Car, Competition Eliminator, Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super Street and Super Gas.
* With 55 event wins in the first nine National meets, Goodyear is the leading tire manufacturer in NHRA competition. The company takes an average of 500 tires to each NHRA National -- 250 for the Winston Pro competitors and 250 for the Sportsman categories.
* National Trail Raceway has been the site of some of drag racing's most memorable upsets. The Midwest weather could be a factor, or it could be the notoriously tricky surface, but whatever the reason, it's one of the wildest stops on the circuit. In recent years, the track has been home to a few drivers' first victories. Chuck Harris scored his only win in Pro Stock in 1996, and Frank Pedregon and Phil Burkart Jr. broke through in 1998 and 1999 with their first Funny Car triumphs, all on Goodyear Eagles.
* Nine-time NHRA Funny Car champion John Force made history two weeks ago at the Prestone Route 66 Nationals when he broke Bob Glidden's record by recording his 86th career NHRA National win. "John's performance at Chicago was certainly a tremendous achievement," said Perry Bell, Goodyear operations manager, drag racing. "The record is certainly a credit to not only John's ability but also the entire John Force Racing team. To establish this record during what looks to be one of the most competitive Funny Car seasons in the history of NHRA makes it even more significant.
"We at Goodyear are very proud to have been associated with John during all 86 of his Funny Car victories and applaud the professional manner he and his team have conducted themselves and the way they have contributed to and supported the sport of drag racing during this record-breaking performance. John Force and his team are to be commended for never forgetting the fans who have made drag racing what it is today."
* DID YOU KNOW?: that it is desirable for an NHRA Top Fuel dragster to race with its front wheels inches off the ground for about the first 100 feet of the run. This ensures proper weight transfer to the rear wheels, a crucial part of a good launch and quick run.