Charlotte: Tim Wilkerson Friday notes

WILK POWERS TO 4th SPOT WITH A PAIR OF SOLID HITS Tim Wilkerson made two solid passes in Charlotte on a day that many feared would provide no passes at all. With lousy weather blanketing the entire southeastern United States, and with spotty...

WILK POWERS TO 4th SPOT WITH A PAIR OF SOLID HITS

Tim Wilkerson made two solid passes in Charlotte on a day that many feared would provide no passes at all. With lousy weather blanketing the entire southeastern United States, and with spotty rain showers pelting almost every county in North Carolina, the wet stuff somehow stayed away from zMax Dragway and both professional sessions were completed.

On Wilk's first run he posted a clean 4.159 to land 6th, before he came back roaring in Q2, with a 4.119. The lap placed in 2nd at the time, but Ashley Force Hood and Robert Hight, who each ran as part of the final two pairs, knocked the Levi, Ray & Shoup team down a couple of notches. Two more sessions are scheduled for Saturday, which currently sports a very similar "great chance of showers" forecast.

"Just goes to show you the weather guys can be wrong in both directions, and just because it says there's a 60 percent chance of rain, that still means there's a 40 percent chance it won't," Wilkerson said. "Sort of like last year here, we had a very good race track, maybe even a great race track, but just lousy air to run in. When it's this humid, the motor is trying to burn water, and that doesn't work, but we feel pretty good about both runs, and we feel good about how we're going to go about these playoffs.

"We had a little meeting before the first warmup today. I'm not going to say it was a locker room pep talk, but I laid it on the line to the guys that this is it. This is what we worked for, so we're going for it. There's no need to hold back now, by any means. We may not be the quickest in the class during any given session, but we're out there trying to run as quick as we can, and not leave anything on the table. I kind of feel like we have absolutely nothing to lose, so we're going for it."

-credit: twr

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series NHRA
Drivers Tim Wilkerson , Ashley Force , Robert Hight