NHRA POWERADE SERIES POST RACE NOTES: 26th annual Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals Aug. 9-12, Brainerd International Raceway, Brainerd, Minn. TOP FUEL * Brandon Bernstein won his fifth event of the season...
NHRA POWERADE SERIES POST RACE NOTES: 26th annual Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals Aug. 9-12, Brainerd International Raceway, Brainerd, Minn.
* Brandon Bernstein won his fifth event of the season in his seventh final round appearance of 2007, driving his Budweiser/Lucas Oil dragster to a 4.525-second finish at 329.91 mph. It is Bernstein's 17th career victory.
* Larry Dixon finished second in his fourth final round appearance this in his SkyTel dragster.
* It was a tough first round for many teams, with No. 1 qualifier Tony Schumacher, points leader Rod Fuller, J.R. Todd, Dave Grubnic, Hillary Will, Doug Kalitta, Doug Herbert, and Doug Foley all falling in the first round.
* Tony Schumacher earned the Technicoat Top Fuel Shootout award for qualifying No. 1 in his U.S. Army dragster with a performance of 4.548 at 328.54. It is Schumacher's seventh No. 1 qualifying position of the season and 42nd of his career.
* Melanie Troxel and her Vietnam Veterans/POW-MIA dragster crew earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.
* John Force drove his Castrol GTX High-Mileage Ford Mustang to his third season win and 125th career win in Funny Car. It was Force's 11th victory at BIR.
* Force piloted his machine to a 4.794 at 316.60 over Kenny Bernstein's Monster Energy/Lucas Oil Dodge Charger. It was the elder Bernstein's first final round appearance of the season. Force and Bernstein last faced each other in a final round at the 1989 event in Englishtown, N.J. Bernstein holds a 6-2 edge over Force in career final round meetings.
* Force also collected the Motel 6 "Who Got the Light" award, defeating Bernstein by a .0048-second margin of victory in the final round of Funny Car eliminations.
* With his semifinal win against teammate Robert Hight, Force clinched his seventh-place spot in the Countdown to the Championship.
* Drivers Mike Ashley, Jack Beckman, Tony Pedregon, and Gary Scelzi all clinched berths in the Countdown to the Championship.
* Many Funny Car teams struggled in the first round, with No.1 qualifier Mike Ashley, points leader Ron Capps, Del Worsham, Jim Head, Gary Densham, Tony Pedregon, Scott Kalitta, and Jerry Toliver all falling in the opening session.
* Notable DNQs included: Ashley Force, Cruz Pedregon, and Tony Bartone.
* Mike Ashley earned the Skoal Showdown award for qualifying No.1 in his Torco/Skull Gear Dodge Charger with his performance of 4.781 at 327.51. It is Ashley's fifth No. 1 qualifying effort of the season.
* Ashley's Torco/Skull Gear Dodge Charger crew also earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.
* Jeg Coughlin earned his third win of 2007 with a 6.667-second run at 205.94 mph over Greg Anderson. It was Coughlin's 37th POWERade Series victory, and his 50th NHRA national event win (13 sportsman wins). Coughlin is the 11th driver in NHRA history to earn 50 national event wins.
* Anderson collected his first runner-up finish of the season in his eighth final round appearance.
* First round loses include Justin Humphreys, Allen Johnson, Kenny Koretsky, V Gaines, Tom Hammonds, Richie Stevens Jr., Ron Krisher, and Max Naylor.
* Jason Line earned the K&N Filters Horsepower Challenge award for qualifying No.1 in his Summit Racing Pontiac GTO with a 6.740 and 204.66 run. It is Line's second No. 1 qualifying effort of the season and 13th of his career.
* Jeg Coughlin and his Jegs.com Chevy Cobalt crew earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.
PRO STOCK MOTORCYCLE
* Andrew Hines grabbed his third win of the season in his fourth final round appearance with a 7.009-second run at 188.20 mph over teammate Eddie Krawiec. It is Hines' 11th career victory.
* First round losers included defending event winner Antron Brown, Craig Treble, Karen Stoffer, Michael Phillips, Angelle Sampey, Steve Johnson, Mike Berry, and Steve Gann.
* Notable DNQs included: Geno Scali and Tom Bradford.
* Chip Ellis earned the Ringers Gloves Pro Bike Battle award for qualifying No.1 in his Drag Specialties S&S Buell with a 6.990 and 191.08 run. It is Ellis' first No. 1 of the season and eighth of his career.
* Screamin' Eagle Vance & Hines Harley Davidson rider Andrew Hines clinched a berth in the Countdown to the Championship playoffs, qualifying third for the event.
* Ellis and his Drag Specialties S&S Buell crew earned the Full Throttle Pit Crew Championship award.