NEWS OF NOTE * Top 10 shuffle... Several drivers in the top 10 of the championship standings gained positions as a result of their most recent finish. Scott Gaylord moved up two spots to seventh. Mike David moved up one position to fourth and ...
NEWS OF NOTE
* Top 10 shuffle... Several drivers in the top 10 of the championship standings gained positions as a result of their most recent finish. Scott Gaylord moved up two spots to seventh. Mike David moved up one position to fourth and Johnny Borneman moved up one to fifth.
* Tight, tight battle... The championship standings reflect this year's close competition. The seven drivers in fourth through 10th are separated by only 109 points.
* Best average finish... Eric Norris continues to hold the best average finish. His average finish in the eight races is 3.88.
* Going the distance... Norris and Kevin Richards remain tied for the most number of laps completed this season. They have each completed 1,414 of the 1,415 possible. Brandon Ash is third on the list with 1,394.
* Leading the pack... Austin Cameron continues to lead in terms of laps of competition led this season, keeping the NAPA/Martin Senour Chevrolet out front for 378 laps.
ON THE RIGHT TRACK
* Scott Gaylord (No. 00 Oliver Gravity Separators Chevrolet) won the Bud Pole Award at Rocky Mountain Raceways-- his first of the season and the third of his career. His last Bud Pole win was at Sonoma in 1996.
* Mark Reed (No. 3 Royal Bath & Body Products Pontiac) returned to the series with a top-five finish at Rocky Mountain Raceways. It was the first series race this season for Reed, who finished second in the championship standings in 2001 and won the rookie title.
* Daryl Harr (No. 71 WestWorld Motorsports Chevrolet) notched his first top-10 finish in the series at Rocky Mountain Raceways, in only his fifth race.
* Kevin Richards (No. 85 Monaco Enterprises Chevrolet) has moved to seventh on the list of Career Money Leaders in the NASCAR Winston West Series, with $561,220.
* Austin Cameron (No. 16 NAPA Auto Parts/Martin Senour Chevrolet) has moved out front in terms of money won this season, with $88,788.
* Eric Norris (No. 32 JaniKing/Ultra Wheels Ford) has maintained his streak of top-10 finishes. He has finished in the top 10 in 10 consecutive races, including the final two events of 2001.
FROM THE ARCHIVES
* On July 17, 1971, Hershel McGriff edged Ray Elder in a caution-free 100-lap event at Douglas County Speedway in Roseburg, Ore.