NASCAR GRAND NATIONAL DIVISION, WEST SERIES POST-RACE NOTES - STOCKTON AUTOZONE TWIN CHAMPIONSHIPS Presented by Havoline, APRIL 30 * Wire-to-wire win . Scott Lynch (No. 08 Mr. Gas Dodge) led wire-to-wire to win the NASCAR Grand National ...
NASCAR GRAND NATIONAL DIVISION, WEST SERIES POST-RACE NOTES - STOCKTON
AUTOZONE TWIN CHAMPIONSHIPS Presented by Havoline, APRIL 30
* Wire-to-wire win . Scott Lynch (No. 08 Mr. Gas Dodge) led wire-to-wire to win the NASCAR Grand National Division, West Series portion of the AutoZone Twin Championships Presented by Havoline at Stockton (Calif.) 99 Speedway on Saturday, April 30. It was his second win this season and his eighth career victory in 40 West Series races.
* Third generation win at Stockton . Lynch's win marked a victory for his crew chief Robert Strmiska as a third-generation competitor at Stockton. Strmiska's grandfather, Ron Strmiska, was a two-time track champion who scored 30 feature event wins in nearly 20 years of racing on the historic quarter-mile oval. Robert's father, Ron Strmiska Jr., served as crew chief for most of those years and drove to victory at Stockton in a NASCAR AutoZone Elite Division, Southwest Series event in 2002.
* Bud Pole . Lynch set the fast mark in qualifying at Stockton, with a lap of 63.452 mph, to win his sixth career Bud Pole Award.
* Another runner-up finish . Mike Duncan's (No. 9 Lucas Oil/Ron's Rear Ends Chevrolet) runner-up finish at Stockton marked his third consecutive second-place finish on that quarter-mile oval and his fourth in five races there.
* Another top-five for Gaylord . A fourth-place finish at Stockton by Scott Gaylord (No. 00 Oliver Gravity Separators/Denver Seminary Chevrolet) matched his fourth-place finish there last August. The event marked Gaylord's 150th West Series race, dating back to 1988.
* Rookies continue to do well . Members of the freshman class competing for this year's Sunoco Rookie of the Year Award continue to do well this season. Three rookies finished on the lead lap at Stockton. Andrew Lewis (No. 18 Cure Autism Now Chevrolet) charged from 15th on the grid to finish eighth. Tim Smith (No. 3 Veron Coating Systems Chevrolet) finished 10th and Sarah Fisher (No. 20 NAPA Filters/Domino's Pizza Chevrolet) finished 12th.
* Last wire-to-wire win . The most recent wire-to-wire win in the NASCAR Grand National Division, West Series was by Austin Cameron at Roseburg, Ore., in 2003.
* Featherlite Most Improved . David Gilliland (No. 88 RaceCarCeilingFans.com Chevrolet) won the Featherlite Most Improved Driver Award at Stockton. Gilliland, who finished 29th a week before at Phoenix, crossed the finish line in fifth at Stockton. Featherlite presents the award at each event to the driver who improves the most finishing positions from the previous event.
* POWERade Power Move . Tim Woods III (No. 54 Chino Hills Ford Ford) moved up from 17th at the start to finish ninth and win the POWERade Power Move of the Race Award. At each Grand National Division event, POWERade presents the award to the driver who advances the most positions.