NASCAR Camping World Series West 2009 Schedule Announced
*Portland, Madera, And
Second Race At Iowa Join Lineup
* 56th Season Features 13 Races From March To September
* Three Road Course Races On Tap For 2009
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Dec. 24, 2008) -- The 2009 schedule for the NASCAR Camping World Series West, which features two visits to Iowa Speedway, will be comprised of 13 races, NASCAR announced today.
The schedule -- with stops at 11 venues in seven states between March and September -- features a balance of short tracks, speedways and road courses.
It includes the addition of a second visit to Iowa Speedway in Newton, Iowa on Sept. 4. The event will be in conjunction with the inaugural NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at the ultra-competitive 7/8-mile track.
The NASCAR Camping World Series West will make an earlier trip to Iowa during the month of May for the third edition of the combination race between the NASCAR Camping World Series East and West. Joey Logano edged Kevin Harvick in the first combination race at Iowa in 2007, while West Coast native Brian Ickler topped Kasey Kahne there in 2008.
Venues joining the NASCAR Camping World Series West schedule in 2009 include Portland (Ore.) International Raceway, a road course visited by the circuit in 1986, and Madera (Calif.) Speedway, which last held a series event in 2003. The Portland event, one of three road course races on tap for 2009, is set for July 19; while the Madera race is slated for April 25.
Two events will once again run in conjunction with NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race weekends again in 2009. The NASCAR Camping World Series West will travel to Phoenix International Raceway on April 16 to be part of the big NASCAR weekend in the Valley of the Sun. The series will also share the stage with NASCAR's premier series on the road course of Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., on June 20.
"The 2009 schedule features many of the popular venues in key markets that have hosted some of the greatest racing in the 55-year history of the NASCAR Camping World Series West," said NASCAR's Managing Director of Racing Operations, George Silbermann. "We thank our promoters and competitors throughout the region for their continued support, and look forward to returning to Madera Speedway and Portland International Raceway. The package of events overall should make for another exciting season of competition."
Other 2009 highlights include:
* The NASCAR Camping World Series West will kick off its 56th season at Thunder Hill Raceway in Kyle, Texas on March 14. It marks the fifth annual visit to the 3/8-mile track.
* The series will make two visits to All American Speedway in Roseville, Calif. The historic fairgrounds track, which attracted a sell-out crowd to open the 2008 season, will host an event on April 4. As it did in 2008, the series will return to Roseville to close out its season on Sept. 19.
* The NASCAR Camping World Series West will visit Toyota Speedway at Irwindale (Calif.) on the Fourth of July for what has become a big holiday attraction for Southern California race fans.
* Two other popular short track events on the 2009 schedule include a visit to Douglas County Speedway in Roseburg, Ore., on June 6 and a trip to Colorado National Speedway in Dacono, Colo., on Aug. 15.
* A visit to the expansive Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah, on Aug. 1 will mark the third road course event for the year.