<pre> WHAT: SUNSTATE EQUIPMENT COMPANY "100" Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 5 WHERE: Pikes Peak Int'l. Raceway, Fountain, Colo. 1-Mile Paved WHEN: Sunday, May 20, 2001 -- 4:45 ...
<pre> WHAT: SUNSTATE EQUIPMENT COMPANY "100" Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 5
WHERE: Pikes Peak Int'l. Raceway, Fountain, Colo. 1-Mile Paved
WHEN: Sunday, May 20, 2001 -- 4:45 p.m.
DISTANCE: 100 Laps/100Miles
POSTED AWARDS: $84,450
FIELD: 38 cars possible. The fastest 31 cars through time trials with two provisional starting positions (32nd & 33rd) available to the top 30 drivers in current 2001 Featherlite Southwest Series drivers point standings, who have not qualified for one of the original 31 starting positions, provided eligible drivers attempt to qualify. The 34th & 35th starting positions will be available to the highest 30 car owners in the current 2001 NFSWS point standings, who have not qualified for one of the original 31 starting positions, provided eligible owner's car added to the field is the car which was used in the official qualifying attempt or was used during an official be available to the highest 30 drivers in current 2001 point standings in each of the following divisions; Gatorade All Pro Series, Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, RE/MAX Challenge Series who entered the event and have not qualified for one of the original 31 starting spots.
SANCTION: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
PROMOTER: Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway, LLC.
Friday, May 18 *7:00 p.m. Haulers Enter
Saturday, May 19 * 6:00 a.m. Registration and Inspection * 8:30 a.m. Rookie Driver's Meeting * 9:00 a.m. Drawing to determine Qualifying order * 9:30-11:00 a.m. Practice * 12:05 p.m. Time Trials (1 Lap). All Positions * 4:15-4:45 p.m. Final Practice
Sunday, May 20 * 9:00 a.m. Registration and Inspection * 12:00 Noon Mandatory Driver's and Crew Chief's Meeting * 4:45 p.m. SUNSTATE EQUIPMENT COMPANTY "100"
THE RACE TRACK: Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway is a 1-mile paved oval track. RECORDS: Driver Date Speed Time QUALIFYING: Kenny Shepherd 5/20/00 134.173 mph 26.831 sec. RACE: 100-Laps Ross Thompson 5/21/00 60.667 mph 1 hr 38 min 54 sec.
FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES NOTES:
* M.K. Kanke surpassed the $300,000 mark in career earnings this season and became the first Featherlite Southwest Series driver in history to achieve that milestone following his victory at Irwindale Speedway April 21. Ron Hornaday Jr. is second with career earnings of $285,920.
* Bob Lyon, Aqua Dulce, Calif., is the iron man of the series with 224 appearances.
* Doug McCoun has the longest active streak of consecutive seasons finishing in the top 10 in the final standings. McCoun has managed top 10 finishes eight straight years.
* The record for most different Bud Pole Award winners in a season is 13, set in 1997 and tied in 1998. * M.K. Kanke is the all time Bud Pole winner on the Featherlite Southwest Series with 25 poles.
* Scott Brandt of Kalispell, MT. Leads the Rookie-of-the-Year point standings over Joe Herold, Ben Walker, Burney Lamar, and two-time NASCAR Weekly Racing Series regional champion Eddy McKean. Brandt is forth in the overall 2001 Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring point standings.
* 74 drivers have attempted to qualify for Featherlite Southwest Series events so far in 2001
Current 2001 Point Standings 2000 FSWS Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway Top 10 1. M.K. Kanke 1. Ross Thompson 2. Darrell LaMoure 2. Matt Crafton 3. Greg Pursley. 3. M.K. Kanke 4. Scott Brandt 4. Bruce Yackey 5. Frank Maronski Jr. 5. Joe Bellum 6. Jim Pettit II 6. Scott Backman 7. Eddy McKean 7. Roger Avants 8. Auggie Vidovich Jr. 8. Greg Fowler 9. John Baker 9. Todd Souza 10. Bob Lyon 10. Frank Maronski Jr.
2000 RACE REVIEW: Kenny Shepherd grabbed the Bud Pole Award with a time of 26.831 and started first. Ross Thompson got the early jump on Shepherd at the green flag and led the first 21 laps before Mike Pratt maneuvered around Thompson on lap 22. Mark Reed took the lead on lap 27 before Rocky Nash powered his way to the front on lap 28. Nash led until Mark Reed made his move back by on lap 62. Greg Fowler wrestled the lead away from Reed on lap 64 and held the point until Thompson made it back to the front and assumed control of the race on lap 81. Thompson would not be challenged and went on to take his first series win.
2000 RACE STATS Bud Pole: Kenny Shepherd 26.831/134.173 mph Time of Race: 1 hr, 38 min 54 sec Average Speed: 60.667 mph Margin of Victory: 2 seconds Caution Flags: Three for 19 Laps Lap Leaders: Ross Thompson 1-21, Mike Pratt 22-26, Mark Reed 27, Rocky Nash 28-61, Reed 62-63, Greg Fowler 64-80, Thompson 81-100. Seven lead changes among six drivers.
Previous FSWS Winners at Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway 2000- Ross Thompson