2002 Featherlite Southwest Series Race facts & notes of interest WHAT: FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES "100" Presented by Bosch Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 1 of 14 WHERE: Phoenix Int'l. Raceway, Phoenix, Ariz.
2002 Featherlite Southwest Series
Race facts & notes of interest
WHAT: FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES "100" Presented by Bosch
Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 1 of 14
WHERE: Phoenix Int'l. Raceway, Phoenix, Ariz. One-Mile Paved
WHEN: Saturday, February 2, 2002 -- 12:00 p.m.
DISTANCE: 100 Laps/100 Miles
POSTED AWARDS: $108,500
FIELD: 42 cars possible. The fastest 30 cars through time trials with two provisional starting positions (31st & 32nd) available to the top 30 drivers based on the final 2001 Featherlite Southwest Series point standings, who have not qualified for one of the original 30 starting positions, provided eligible drivers attempt to qualify. The 33rd and 34th starting positions are available to the highest 30 car owners in the final 2001 Featherlite Southwest Series point standings who have not qualified for one of the original 30 starting positions. Provisional starting positions 35th and 36th are available to the highest 30 drivers in the final 2001 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series who have not qualified for one of the original 30 starting positions. Provisional position 37th is available to the top 30 drivers in the final 2001 RE/MAX Challenge Series who has not qualified for one of the original 30 positions. Provisional position 38th is available to the top 30 drivers in the final 2001 Gatorade All Pro Series points standings who has not qualified for one of the top 30 starting positions. Starting positions 39th thru 42nd will be filled by the top four finishing drivers from the qualifying race electing to transfer. <pre> SCHEDULE:
Thursday, January 31 9:00 a.m. Haulers enter 9:00 a.m. --5:00 p.m. Registration/Inspection
Friday, February 1 7:00 a.m. Garage opens 7:45 a.m. Mandatory Rookie Meeting 8:00 a.m. Drawing for Qualifying Order 8:30 a.m.- 10:00 a.m. Practice 12:30 p.m. TimeTrials (2-laps)(All Positions) 3:30 p.m. 20-Lap Qualifying Race 5:00p.m.- 5:30 p.m. Second Practice
Saturday, February 2 7:00 a.m. Garage Opens 9:00 a.m. Mandatory Driver and Crew Chief meeting 10:00 a.m.-10:50 Autograph Session at the Oasis Patio on the Southwest side of the track. 12:00 p.m. Featherlite Southwest Series "100" Presented by Bosch
RECORDS: Driver Date Speed Time QUALIFYING: Ken Schrader 2/6/00 132.217 mph 27.228 sec. RACE: 50-laps Ken Schrader 2/1/98 126.939 mph 23 min, 38 sec RACE: 100-laps Garrett Evans 11/3/00 91.673 mph 1 hr, 5 min, 27 sec RACE: 186-laps Scott Hansen 10/31/97 97.411 mph 1 hr, 54 min, 34 sec </pre> FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES NOTES:
* Craig Raudman returns to defend his 2001 FSWS championship in 2002. Over the winter the Yerf-Dog Team underwent major reorganization with new ownership.
* Featherlite Southwest Series veteran Mike Kanke of Frazier Park, Calif. returns to the FSWS for the first time since his 2001 season ending leg injury at Sears Point Raceway. Kanke won 4 times in 7 starts in 2001.
* Vince Little, Jason Allen, Adam Andretti, Brandon Whitt, David Pook, and Brandon Miller have made early declarations to run for the FSWS Rookie-of-the-Year title in 2002.
* Since 1988, six drivers have multiple wins on the d-shaped oval. Scott Hansen (4), Rick Carelli (4), Ken Schrader (3), Garrett Evans (2), Dick Trickle (2), and Ron Hornaday Jr. (2).
* More than 60 cars from all of NASCAR's four Regional Late Model Touring series have pre-registered for this event including 2001 RBNWS Champion Kevin Hamlin, plus past RBNWS champions Garrett Evans and Ron Eaton.
* Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company has posted award tires for all events in 2002, which include 32 tires to be distributed to eligible Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring car owners per event.
February 4, 2001 RACE REVIEW: Ken Schrader won the Bud Pole Award with a time of 27.324 and started the event on the pole. Kanke got the jump on Schrader and led lap one, then lost the lead when a determined Schrader got the inside line on Kanke and assumed the point and would lead through lap 66. 1999 ROTY Scott Lynch then took over after pit stops and led laps 67-70. Schrader then drove past Lynch on lap 71 and would lead the rest of the way holding off a spirited challenge from Kanke.
February 4, 2001 RACE STATS
Bud Pole: Ken Schrader 27.324/131.752 mph
Time of Race: 1 hr, 22 min, 21 sec
Average Speed: 72.859 mph
Margin of Victory: .1.28 seconds
Caution Flags: Five for 33 Laps (3-12), (31-36), (66-70), (75-81), (85-89)
Lap Leaders: M.K. Kanke 1, Ken Schrader 2-66, Scott Lynch 67-70, and Schrader 71-100. Three lead changes among three drivers.
NASCAR Online, NASCAR's Official Internet Site on the World Wide Web can be accessed at www.nascar.com and offers up to the minute information on all NASCAR Touring divisions.