GOODY'S DASH SERIES NASCAR TOURING SNS COASTAL CAROLINA FREIGHTLINER "125" What: The SNS Coastal Freightliner "125" is Race No. 11 in the NASCAR Goody's Dash Series 1998 Schedule. Where: Southern National Speedway in Kenly, N.C. is a .4...
GOODY'S DASH SERIES NASCAR TOURING
SNS COASTAL CAROLINA FREIGHTLINER "125"
What: The SNS Coastal Freightliner "125" is Race No. 11 in the NASCAR Goody's Dash Series 1998 Schedule.
Where: Southern National Speedway in Kenly, N.C. is a .4 mile high banked asphalt oval. From I-95 take the Kenly exit (exit 107). Go north 4 miles on US 301 to flashing light, go east on SR 581, cross RR tracks and turn north on Newsome Mill Rd. Speedway is approx. 1 mile on right.
When: Saturday, August 1, 1998 - 7:45 p.m.
Distance: 125 Laps (50 Miles)
Promoter: Southern Motorsports Corp.
Sanction: National Association of Stock Car Automobile Racing Inc. (NASCAR)
Schedule: Saturday, Aug. 1--Registration and inspection 10:00 a.m. Mandatory Rookie Drivers Meeting 12:30 p.m. (at the Dash Trailer). Practice 1:00 -3:00 p.m. Draw for qualifying 3:15 p.m. Time Trials (2 laps) 5:15 p.m. Mandatory Driver and Crew Chief Meeting 7:00 p.m.
Posted Awards: $22,350 Including Promoters Purse, Cash Contingency Awards, $1450 NASCAR Goody's Dash Series Championship Points Fund and $2500 NASCAR Goody's Dash Series Top 20 Bonus Plan.
Participating Manufacturers: Goody's Pharmaceuticals, Moog Chassis Parts, NGK Spark Plugs, NAPA Oil Filters, Pontiac Racing, Pro Shocks, Toyota Racing, Victor Reinz Gaskets, Anheuser-Busch, Gatorade, Goodyear Tires, STP Oil Treatment, Unocal 76 Gasoline.
Notes of Interest:
Qualifying Record - 15.349 sec. / 93.817 mph. Brian Sockwell, July 19, 1997 Race Record - 62.674 mph. Scott Weaver, July 19, 1997
* This is the third event for the Goody's Dash Series at Southern National Speedway and will kick off the second half of the '98 season.
* Going into the second half, Robert Huffman leads the Series point standings by 228 points over Ricky Bryant. Another 91 points behind Bryant is Jon Redman. Redman, David Hutto and Jake Hobgood are all right there in a pack with only 15 points separating fifth from third.
* In the 1998 Rookie of the Year standings, Donnie Apple holds an 18-point advantage over Chris Hall, followed by Eddie Kelley, Mark Ellington and John Whaley.
* In the past two events, we have had two first time winners, Jake Hobgood and Ricky Bryant. Both drivers are in their second full season with the Series.
* The 1996 Series Champion Lyndon Amick won the inaugural Dash Series event here in that same year.
* Will Hobgood qualified his Pontiac on the Pole for that inaugural race.
* In 1997, Brian Sockwell knocked more than .65 of a second off Hobgood's qualifying record with a 15.349 sec. run.
* Scott Weaver picked up his first and to date, his only career win in the Series in the '97 event and set the current race record in the process. Weaver had been a Series regular for 13 years before making his first trip to victory lane.
* Another first time winner, Ricky Bryant picked up his first Series win during the last event at Orange County Speedway. Ricky was the 1994 Pro- Modified Division Champion here at Southern National Speedway. He could be instrumental in the outcome of this event.
* Rookie contender, John Whaley is another driver who has had great success at Southern National Speedway before making the transition to the Goody's Dash Series. John would like to become the first rookie Bud Pole winner or the first rookie race winner in 1998, and with his recent experience here, he's another local favorite that could be a factor.
Note: Prior to 1992, some records may be incomplete.
Rules Specific To This Track: Tires: Goodyear 2376 (Left Side) 2372 (Right Side) Field: 28 fastest qualifiers plus two provisionals. Sound Requirement: 98 DBA maximum @ 100 feet. Ticket and Other Information: Available from Southern National Speedway at 919-284-1114.