2002 RAYBESTOS BRAKES NORTHWEST SERIES WHAT: Parts Plus 125 presented by Snap-On Tools Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series Race No. 7 of 14 WHERE: Evergreen Speedway, Monroe, Wash. .646-Mile Paved Speedway WHEN: Saturday, July 13, 2002-- 8:30...
2002 RAYBESTOS BRAKES NORTHWEST SERIES
Parts Plus 125 presented by Snap-On Tools
Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series Race No. 7 of 14
Evergreen Speedway, Monroe, Wash.
.646-Mile Paved Speedway
Saturday, July 13, 2002-- 8:30 p.m. PDT
125 Laps/80.75 Miles
40 cars possible. Fastest 31 cars through time trials with two provisional starting positions available to the top 30 drivers based on the current 2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring Championship point standings, two starting positions from current top 30 car owners in the 2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring Championship point standings, one position for a former champion of the series who has not qualified in the original 31 positions, the final four positions will be filled by the top four finishers in the Qualifying Race.
National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
International Promotions, Inc.
Saturday, July 13
2:30 p.m. First Practice Session
3:00 to 3:30 p.m. Final Practice Session
5:00 p.m. Time Trials (2 Laps). All positions
7:00 p.m. 10-Lap Qualifying Race.
8:30 p.m. Parts Plus 125
Evergreen Speedway is a slightly banked .646-mile paved oval.
NOTES OF INTEREST:
* Kevin Hamlin is the Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series points leader heading into the Parts Plus 125, presented by Snap-On Tools. Hamlin holds an 86-point lead on Chris Hart. Hamlin won one of two events held at Evergreen Speedway in 2001, and captured the first race of the 2002 season at the .646-mile paved oval. Hart was the runner-up to Hamlin's 2002 season opening victory.
* Jeff Jefferson leads the series with four Bud Pole Awards, including one from the 2002 season opener at Evergreen Speedway. Jefferson led 117 laps at the series last event, held in East Wenatchee, Wash., moving him into the top-3 for the Gatorade Front Runner Award. Hamlin leads, Jefferson is two points behind and Garrett Evans is tied with Gary Lewis for third place.
* Since 1993, Gary Lewis is the hottest driver on the series to race in Monroe, Wash. Lewis has seven wins, 12 top-5 finishes, and four career poles at his home track. The Bothell, Wash. resident won the 2001 spring event and four of the last six season openers. Others who have had success in the same span include Ron Eaton, who has four wins, 10 top-5's, and five career pole awards and Pete Harding with three wins, eight top-5 finishes and two career fast time awards. Hamlin has won two of the last three series events held at Evergreen.
* Only 139 points separate first through sixth place in the chase for the 2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series championship. Three series champions are among the first six positions, Kevin Hamlin (2001), Pete Harding (1999), and Gary Lewis (1998). Garrett Evans (2000) sits in seventh place, 180 points behind Hamlin.
* Garrett Evans has a knack of earning Bud Pole Awards and victories in Monroe. During the 18-year history of the series, Evans has 16 pole awards and 13 wins including the first event ever held at the historic .646-mile paved oval. The Ardenvoir, Wash. native also holds the record for one the closest finishes in series history, .0001 seconds, at Evergreen Speedway on March 31, 1990.
STAT OF THE WEEK:
* The Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring, has entered its 18th season of competition. In that time span, Pontiac and Chevrolet are tied in manufacturer victories with 22 wins at Evergreen Speedway. Ford has four wins and Buick has one checkered flag to its credit.