Goody's Dash Series NASCAR Touring Myrtle Beach Pre-Race TIME WARNER CABLE "100" What: The Time Warner Cable "100" is Race No. 12 in the NASCAR Goody's Dash Series 1998 Schedule. Where: Myrtle Beach Speedway in Myrtle Beach, S.C. is a .538...
Goody's Dash Series NASCAR Touring Myrtle Beach Pre-Race TIME WARNER CABLE "100"
What: The Time Warner Cable "100" is Race No. 12 in the NASCAR Goody's Dash Series 1998 Schedule.
Where: Myrtle Beach Speedway in Myrtle Beach, S.C. is a .538 mile slightly banked asphalt oval. The speedway is located 5 miles west of Myrtle Beach on US 501
When: Saturday, August 8, 1998 - 8:30 p.m.
Distance: 100 Laps (53.8 Miles)
Promoter: Speedway of South Carolina, Inc.
Sanction: National Association of Stock Car Automobile Racing Inc. (NASCAR)
Schedule: Saturday, Aug. 8--Registration and Haulers enter at 10:00 a.m. Inspection at 10:30. Mandatory Rookie Drivers Meeting 12:30 p.m. (at the Dash Trailer). Practice 1:00 -3:00 p.m. Draw for qualifying 3:15 p.m. Time Trials (2 laps) 5:00 p.m. Mandatory Driver and Crew Chief Meeting 7:00 p.m.
Posted Awards: $19,740 Including Promoters Purse, Cash Contingency Awards, $1240 NASCAR Goody's Dash Series Championship Points Fund and $2500 NASCAR Goody's Dash Series Top 20 Bonus Plan.
Participating Manufacturers: Goody's Pharmaceuticals, Moog Chassis Parts, NGK Spark Plugs, NAPA Oil Filters, Pontiac Racing, Pro Shocks, Toyota Racing, Victor Reinz Gaskets, Anheuser-Busch, Gatorade, Goodyear Tires, STP Oil Treatment.
Notes of Interest: Qualifying Record - 19.870 sec. / 97.474 mph. Brian Sockwell, Aug. 9, 1997
Race Record - 67.870 mph. Todd Cray, Aug. 14, 1988
* This is the fifteenth event for the Goody's Dash Series at Myrtle Beach Speedway since 1988 and marks the only appearance for the Series in the Grand Strand area this season.
* Many of the teams take advantage of this mid-summer event by incorporating some well-deserved beach vacation time into the week preceding the race. Vacationers and locals alike, are apt to find themselves pitting their driving skills against some of the Series' best drivers at any one of the many go-cart tracks in the area during the week.
* Ten different Dash Series winners have visited the Myrtle Beach Speedway's victory lane over the past ten years. Series veteran and 1992 Series champion, Mickey York is the most familiar with the hallowed circle having been there three times, in '90, '92 and most recently in 1994.
* Two other current Dash Series competitors have multiple wins at Myrtle Beach. Two time Series champion, Larry Caudill swept both events here in '95 and 1994 champion, Will Hobgood picked up a win in '93, his rookie year, and again in the spring race here last year.
* Some of the other notable past winners here at the Beach have included Andy Belmont, Shawna Robinson and Brian Sockwell who all won from the pole in '88, '89 and '97 respectively. Johnny Chapman won here in his championship year of 1991. Former champion and current Goody's Dash Series point leader, Robert Huffman won here in the spring of 1996. Charles Powell III scored an impressive win here when he won in the August race of '96 in his very first appearance in a Goody's Dash car.
* Larry Caudill, Danny Bagwell and Brian Sockwell have all started this event from the pole twice in their careers. Sockwell won the last two poles here in 1997. His pole in April of '97 broke the Series qualifying record by almost 1.5 seconds and was more than six mph faster than the previous record holder, 1996 champion, Lyndon Amick. New asphalt and the new 15" tires aided Sockwell's record smashing run.
Note: Prior to 1992, some records may be incomplete.
Rules Specific To This Track: Tires: Goodyear 2376 (Left Side) 2372 (Right Side) Field: 28 fastest qualifiers plus two provisionals. Ticket Information: Available from Myrtle Beach Speedway at 803-236-0500.