NEXTEL Prelude to the Dream - FAST FACTS WHAT: Third Annual NEXTEL Prelude to the Dream presented by Old Spice WHERE: Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio (Half-mile dirt oval) WHEN: 7 p.m. (EDT), Wednesday, June 6, 2007 DISTANCE:...
NEXTEL Prelude to the Dream - FAST FACTS
WHAT: Third Annual NEXTEL Prelude to the Dream presented by Old Spice
WHERE: Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio (Half-mile dirt oval)
WHEN: 7 p.m. (EDT), Wednesday, June 6, 2007
DISTANCE: Feature consists of 30 laps
CARS: Dirt late-model stock cars
2006: Tony Stewart
2005: Kenny Wallace
HBO Pay-Per-View, 7 p.m. (EDT), June 6, 2007
Announcers: Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip, Kyle Petty
Pit reporters: Dick Berggren, Matt Yocum
HOW TO ORDER:
* The live broadcast will begin at 7 p.m. EDT (4 p.m. PDT), with an immediate replay and subsequent replays throughout the week and the following weekend.
* Prospective viewers can order the event as early as Sunday, June 3, right up until race time on June 6. All that is necessary to order the event is digital cable or satellite service. A subscription to HBO is not required.
* The suggested retail price is $24.95 and available to more than 61 million pay-per-view homes. Ordering information and up-to-the minute racing information is available at www.hbo.com/sports.
SCHEDULE (All times local -- EDT; subject to change):
8 a.m. General Admission markings may begin (Chairs/Blankets ONLY)
1 p.m. Ticket Office Opens
3:30 p.m. All Admission Gates Open
6 p.m. Qualifying Draw (Stage)
6:10 p.m. Warm up laps for support races
7 p.m. HBO Pay-Per-View Broadcast begins
7:10 p.m. Prelude Hot Laps
7:35 p.m. Prelude Qualifying
8:15 p.m. Driver Introductions
8:30 p.m. Invocation & National Anthem
8:35 p.m. Racing begins
* Three Prelude Heats (10 laps each)
* Support Division Feature (15 laps/ max 12 minutes)
* Prelude Consolation (12 laps)
* Support Division feature (17 laps/ max 12 minutes)
* Prelude Feature (30 laps)
9:45 p.m. Post Race Winner's Circle / Victory Junction Gang Camp Presentation
Promising NASCAR driver has limited dirt experience
No problem with dirt -- Won 1995 World of Outlaws title and 1997 Knoxville Nationals
Grew up on dirt and won the 2002 track title on dirt at Kansas' Lakeside Speedway
Four-time Nextel Cup winner grew up on asphalt, but adapts quickly
NHRA star will have to get used to turning left -- and doing it on dirt
Four-time Nextel Cup winner will be at home in a dirt-late model
Plenty of dirt experience for the 1988 NEXTEL Cup Champion
Trading his ownership hat for a helmet and a steering wheel at Eldora
A legend, who even at more than 75 years of age is not afraid to mix it up on dirt
Four-time Nextel Cup champ will race at Eldora for the first time since 1991.
Not a lot of dirt experience, but plenty of late-model experience
Made his dirt-track debut two years ago at the Prelude to the Dream
Cut his teeth on dirt in USAC competition
2003 Nextel Cup champ has limited dirt experience
Owns a dirt late model team, but has not driven much on dirt
One of the all-time greats, doesn't have much dirt experience, but can adapt quickly
Juan Pablo Montoya
Zero dirt experience, but can become the first to win at Indy, Monaco and Eldora
Like Kahne, cut his teeth in USAC competition on dirt
Like Capps, this NHRA star will have to get used to turning left -- and doing it on dirt.
Began racing in dirt-late models
Three-time Nextel Cup winner has limited dirt experience
Could be the favorite as he will race anywhere, anytime -- especially on dirt.
Liked Eldora so much he bought it in 2004
2006 Prelude winner, grew up on dirt
Plenty of Midwest dirt experience
Like Kahne and Stewart, cut his teeth on dirt in USAC competition
Half-mile dirt oval
Banking: Turns: 24 degrees; Straightaways: 8 degrees
Capacity: 17,905 permanent seats plus hillside seating
Eldora Speedway is a half-mile dirt racing facility located in western Ohio. The "Big E" is owned by two-time NASCAR NEXTEL Cup champion Tony Stewart. The Indiana native purchased Eldora from legendary promoter Earl Baltes in 2004. Baltes built Eldora in 1954 and had been the sole owner of the facility for 50 years. Eldora plays host to some of the largest dirt racing events in the country, including the Prelude, Dream, Kings Royal, and World 100 -- all of which attract more than 20,000 spectators on an annual basis.
* Five NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series champions are scheduled to participate in the Prelude to the Dream presented by Old Spice: Bill Elliott (1988), Jeff Gordon (1995, 1997, 1998, 2001), Bobby Labonte (2000), Tony Stewart (2002, 2005), Matt Kenseth (2003).
* Three Daytona 500 winners are scheduled to participate in the Prelude to the Dream presented by Old Spice: Elliott (1985), Gordon (1997, 1999, 2005), Kevin Harvick (2007).
* Juan Pablo Montoya, who won the 2000 Indianapolis 500 and the 2003 Monaco Grand Prix, is attempting to become the first driver in automobile racing history to have won the Indianapolis 500, Monaco Grand Prix and the NEXTEL Prelude to the Dream presented by Old Spice. No driver has ever won Indianapolis, Monaco and Eldora.
* Drag racing standouts Ron Capps and Cruz Pedregon will compete in the NEXTEL Prelude to the Dream presented by Old Spice. Capps has 25 career NHRA victories and has finished second in Funny Car points three times (1998, 2000 & 2005). Pedregon won the 1992 NHRA Funny Car title and has 27 career victories.
* The elite group of drivers in the field have combined for a staggering 579 victories in Nextel Cup, NASCAR Busch Series, NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, Formula One, Indy-style, IROC and NHRA competition. (Nextel Cup -- 269; Busch Series -- 176; NHRA -- 52; Craftsman Truck -- 33; IROC -- 28; Indy-style -- 14; Formula One -- 7).
* A total of 24 major championships have been won by drivers in the NEXTEL Prelude to the Dream presented by Old Spice: Nextel Cup  -- Elliott (1988), Gordon (1995, 1997, 1998, 2001), B. Labonte (2000), Stewart (2002, 2005), Kenseth (2003); IROC  -- Mark Martin (1994, 1996-1998, 2005), B. Labonte (2001), Kevin Harvick (2002), Kenseth (2004), Stewart (2006); Busch Series  -- B. Labonte (1991), Harvick (2001, 2006); IndyCar Series  -- Stewart (1997); CART  -- Montoya (1999); NHRA Funny Car  -- C. Pedregon (1992).
* Jeff Gordon will return to Eldora for the first time in since 1991 when he won the midget portion of the USAC Four Crown Nationals.