News and Notes * Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Dodge Charger, makes his 2008 NASCAR Nationwide Series debut this weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. * Hornish Jr. is scheduled to compete in a total of...
News and Notes
* Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Dodge Charger, makes his 2008 NASCAR Nationwide Series debut this weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
* Hornish Jr. is scheduled to compete in a total of 11 NASCAR Nationwide Series races and one ARCA Series race this season. Included in the 2008 schedule is the Nationwide Series road course event in Mexico City.
* Hornish Jr. has a career total of 11 Nationwide Series (formerly Busch Series) starts. His best finish of 15th came at Atlanta Motor Speedway in March of 2007.
* In a total of five intermediate track starts in Nationwide Series competition, Hornish Jr. has an average starting position of 13.4 and an average finishing spot of 29.0.
* The three-time IndyCar Series Champion earned his first podium in IRL competition in April 2000 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway with a third-place finish.
PBC-017: This weekend's racecar was recently tested by Hornish Jr at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
PBC-015: The backup car for this weekend was last driven by Kurt Busch at Lowe's Motor Speedway in May 2007. Busch qualified for the race in the fifth position.
Sam Hornish Jr. on Las Vegas
"This will be my first NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. This track is very special to me because it is where I won my first podium in IndyCar competition back in 2000. We are running a limited Nationwide Series schedule this season and I think it really benefits me to get as much seat time as possible in stock cars. There is very little that is similar between the two types of cars and I learn so much each week when I hit the track."
Crew Chief Matt Gimbel on Las Vegas
"We had a good test at Las Vegas back in January. We only ran the car for one day due to the Sprint Cup schedule but we got a good baseline for the car. I was impressed with Sam's ability to adapt quickly to the Nationwide car after two days in the Cup car. I feel Sam has unfinished business in the Nationwide Series from last year. I expect great things from this team, including consistent top-five and top-10 finishes this season."