HUFFMAN READY FOR RETURN TO PHOENIX, LOOKING FOR ANOTHER TOP 10 * Shane Huffman will return to Phoenix International Raceway to drive the No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS in the NASCAR Busch Series Bashas' Supermarkets...
HUFFMAN READY FOR RETURN TO PHOENIX, LOOKING FOR ANOTHER TOP 10
* Shane Huffman will return to Phoenix International Raceway to drive the No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS in the NASCAR Busch Series Bashas' Supermarkets 200 on Friday, April 20.
* Prior to racing at Phoenix, Huffman and JR Motorsports team owner Dale Earnhardt Jr. will spend Wednesday aboard the USS Cleveland LPD-7. The vessel is the fourth amphibious transport dock in the Austin class. Commissioned in April 1967, the USS Cleveland is home ported out of San Diego, Calif., as a member of the Pacific Fleet Amphibious Forces. At 569 feet in length, the USS Cleveland has divided her time between operations in the Eastern Pacific and extended deployments to the Western Pacific. It is normally assigned as part of an Expeditionary Strike Group and has performed a wide variety of missions.
* Last November Huffman scored a top-10 finish in his first trip to the 1-mile raceway. He started fourth in the event, battled Nextel Cup driver Clint Bowyer for the race lead and held the point position for 17 laps. He finished the race in eighth position, scoring his second top-10 in three races.
* In their return to Phoenix, the JR Motorsports team is bringing back chassis No. JRM 025, the same car Huffman drove to a top-10 finish in the fall event at the track.
* Last weekend at Texas Motor Speedway the No. 88 Navy team finished 39th after getting caught up in a wreck on Lap 69. Prior to the accident, Huffman was running in 11th place.
* Eight races into the 2007 season, Huffman has scored two top-10 finishes. In his 19 career Busch races, he has compiled one top five and four top-10s, and led 45 laps.
Shane Huffman, Driver, No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
What are your plans for Phoenix?
"We ran really well at Phoenix in the fall. I had a great car in qualifying and we made small adjustments during the race to keep us up front. It was really cool to lead my first laps in the Busch Series there. We led a bunch more the other week in Nashville and I think we're going to lead even more this Friday in Phoenix. I'm ready to get the Navy team another great run this weekend. I look for us to be solidly in the top 10 if not the top five."
What about the Navy trip you're scheduled for Wednesday?
"I've never toured an amphib while she was underway before, but I did get to tour the USS Iwo Jima when it was moored in Norfolk last fall. I always enjoy going out and meeting sailors, so I'm really looking forward to visiting the USS Cleveland this week. Dale Jr. is going with us this time for his first visit to vessel while it's underway and it'll be cool to see his reaction to everything."
The fleet honoree for Friday's race at Phoenix International Raceway is the Commander, Navy Region Southwest. The Navy Region Southwest's mission is to enhance our nation's combat readiness through efficient and effective management of Navy shore installations in California, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah while preserving the critical resources necessary to secure the future of our force. Navy Region Southwest provides world class facilities, mission support, and quality of life services as well as force protection, family housing, environmental stewardship, family services, port services, air operations and bachelor quarters for the active duty, reserve, retired military members, civilian employees, and their families in our region.
Noting the Navy
The Navy is very excited about continuing its association with the most recognized name in NASCAR, JR Motorsports, and further increasing its awareness in 2007. The Navy and NASCAR share common similarities with their focus on teamwork, technology and safety that exemplify the Navy's commitment to grow and develop quality young sailors through service in the Navy.