McFarland and Navy Team Ready for Nashville Superspeedway Nashville Notes.. * The Nashville, Tenn., area has been kind to Mark McFarland, driver of the Dale Earnhardt Jr.-owned No. 88 Navy Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, in the past. With his talent...
McFarland and Navy Team Ready for Nashville Superspeedway
* The Nashville, Tenn., area has been kind to Mark McFarland, driver of the Dale Earnhardt Jr.-owned No. 88 Navy Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, in the past. With his talent and the support of his team, he plans to take home a solid finish in Saturday's NASCAR Busch Series Pepsi 300 at Nashville Superspeedway.
* In November 2003, McFarland collected his Dodge Weekly Racing Series National Championship trophy at the series' banquet at the Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville.
* McFarland returned to the city the following year and collected another trophy after winning the big fall late model stock car race at the nearby Music City Motorplex in his JR Motorsports' No. 17 Chevrolet.
* Saturday's race will be McFarland's first NASCAR Busch Series attempt at Nashville Superspeedway, but it will be his second race at the 1.3-mile oval. In 2004, McFarland competed in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race at Nashville. He finished 29th after getting caught up in another driver's wreck.
* McFarland currently sits 21st in the NASCAR Busch Series point standings, just three markers outside of the top 20.
Mark McFarland, Driver of No. 88 Navy Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
"Nashville is a pretty cool city and I'm looking forward to getting back on track there in the Navy Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS. I've raced there before in the Truck Series, and had a pretty good run going until another driver wrecked ahead of me and I had no where to go. Most of the tracks we've been to this year have been new to me, so it'll be good to race at a track where I have a few laps of experience."
Rich Hubbs, Crew Chief of No. 88 Navy Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
"Our team is young, but we're growing strong and just like Mark is gaining experience on the track each week, we're gaining more and more experience together as a team. We made it through the first few weeks of the season and we're sitting solidly in the top 30 in points, so now we can spend more time focusing on race setup to get the Navy team in place to contend for top finishes each week."
Navy Notables The fleet honoree for Saturday's race at Nashville Superspeedway is the Center for Naval Engineering Detachment -- Philadelphia.
Noting the Navy
The Navy has used its association with NASCAR over the past two years to increase America's awareness of the opportunities to serve our great country. The Navy is very excited about further increasing its awareness through NASCAR in 2006 by an association with JR Motorsports as it exemplifies the Navy's commitment to grow and develop quality young sailors through service in the Navy.
JR Motorsports, a Mooresville, N.C., based company owned by Nextel Cup driver Dale Earnhardt Jr., fields the No. 88 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS that competes in the NASCAR Busch Series for the 2006 season, with a multi-year agreement with the U.S. Navy. The move into the NASCAR Busch Series as a team owner is the next step in the evolution of Earnhardt Jr.'s career.