News and Notes from the Raybestos Rookie Contenders - Busch Series. * Scott Riggs was the RaybestosÂ® Rookie of the Race in the Kroger 300 at Nashville Superspeedway. He finished fourth, his seventh top-five of the 2002 season and took home...
News and Notes from the Raybestos Rookie Contenders - Busch Series.
* Scott Riggs was the Raybestos® Rookie of the Race in the Kroger 300 at Nashville Superspeedway. He finished fourth, his seventh top-five of the 2002 season and took home top finishing rookie honors for the ninth time in this season.
* Riggs used his strong run at Kentucky to pad his lead in the Raybestos® Rookie standings. He leads Shane Hmiel by 78 points (235-157) entering the GNC Live Well 250 at The Milwaukee Mile.
* Riggs is second in Busch Series points, 68 behind leader Jack Sprague. He holds a 42 point edge over third place Greg Biffle entering the Milwaukee race. No other Raybestos® Rookie is in the top
* Kerry Earnhardt scored his career best Busch Series finish at Kentucky. Earnhardt finished seventh, bettering an eighth place effort he had at Nashville Superspeedway in April. It was Earnhardt's second top-10 of the 2002 season.
* Riggs and Earnhardt were the only Raybestos® Rookie Contenders to finish on the lead lap at Kentucky.
* Riggs was the only Raybestos® Rookie Contender to lead a lap at Kentucky. He led the race four times for 91 laps, more than any other driver. Riggs became the first Raybestos® Rookie this season to lead the most laps in a Busch Series race.
* Riggs won the pole at Kentucky, his second of the 2002 season. He is now tied with Hmiel for the most poles by a Raybestos Rookie this season. Each driver has won two poles entering Sunday's race at Milwaukee. Jeff Green leads the all Busch Series drivers with three poles.
* Seven Raybestos® Rookies started the race at Kentucky, and six were running at the finish of the race: Riggs, Earnhardt, Hmiel (19th), Casey Mears (20th), Johnny Sauter (24th) and Dan Pardus (27th). Brian Vickers was the only rookie who failed to finish the race. He was sidelined by electrical problems and ewas credited with a 32nd place finish.
* Riggs has led more miles than any other Raybestos® Rookie Contender. Entering Sunday's race at Milwaukee. He has led 11 times in seven races (202 laps) for a total of 311.55 miles. The rest of the class: Hmiel (65.87), Sauter (50.62) and Mears (6.00).
* Three Raybestos® Rookies have won at least one pole position this season: Hmiel, Riggs, and Sauter.
* Brian Vickers is the only member of the 2002 Raybestos® Rookie class that has Busch Series experience at Milwaukee. Vickers started 30th and finished 37th last year at Milwaukee after he was sideline by an accident.
* Entering the GNC Live Well 250, four Raybestos® Rookies have started all 16 Busch Series races this season: Riggs, Hmiel, Mears, and Earnhardt.
* Greg Biffle was the Raybestos® Rookie of the Race last year at Milwaukee. He took the honors in fine style, scoring his second of four wins by a whopping 13.302 seconds over Matt Kenseth. Biffle's average speed of 102.389 mph was a race record for Busch Series at the historic one-mile speedway.
* Biffle led twice for 19 of the 250 laps at Milwaukee. He was the only Raybestos® Rookie to lead a lap in the race.
* Five Raybestos® Rookies started the race at Milwaukee and four were running at the finish of the race: Biffle, Jamie McMurray (19th), David Donohue (21st) and Larry Foyt (23rd). Scott Wimmer was the lone exception, dropping out with rear-end failure and earning a 30th place finish.
* Biffle was also the highest qualifying Raybestos® Rookie, taking the second starting position in time trials. Jamie McMurray grabbed the sixth starting position, giving the class of 2001 two drivers that started in the top-10.
<pre> RAYBESTOS ROOKIE CONTENDER POINT STANDINGS
DRIVER POINTS Scott Riggs 235 Shane Hmiel 157 Kerry Earnhardt 148 Casey Mears 145 Johnny Sauter 143 Brian Vickers 64 Kasey Kahne 55 Dan Pardus 54
HIGHEST FINISHING RAYBESTOS ROOKIE BY RACE
EVENT HIGHEST FINISHING ROOKIE EAS/GNC Live Well 300 Shane Hmiel, fifth 1-866-RBCTerm.com 200 Scott Riggs, fourth Sam's Town 300 Johnny Sauter, third DarlingtonRaceway.com 200 Johnny Sauter, 11th Channellock 250 Scott Riggs, ninth O'Reilly 300 Scott Riggs, fourth Pepsi 300 Scott Riggs, first Aaron's 312 Casey Mears, fifth Auto Club 300 Scott Riggs, first Hardee's 250 Brian Vickers, seventh Busch 200 Shane Hmiel, fourth Stacker 2 200 Scott Riggs, second CARQUEST Auto Parts 300 Scott Riggs, third MBNA 200 Scott Riggs, 11th Inside Traxx 300 Shane Hmiel, ninth Kroger 300 Scott Riggs, fourth