Huffman ready for first road course event in Navy Chevy * Shane Huffman, driver of the No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, will make his first-ever start on a road course in Sunday's NASCAR Busch Series Telcel-Motorola...
Huffman ready for first road course event in Navy Chevy
* Shane Huffman, driver of the No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, will make his first-ever start on a road course in Sunday's NASCAR Busch Series Telcel-Motorola 200 at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.
* During the off season, Huffman attended the Bondurant Road Racing School in Arizona to develop his road racing skills. The team then spent a day testing at Virginia International Raceway to help him get adjusted to turning both left and right in preparation for the season's three road course events.
* Team owner Dale Earnhardt Jr. has spent some time in the last few weeks mentoring his driver as Huffman prepares for his first road course race. In addition to going over some of the basic ins and outs of road course racing, Earnhardt Jr. has reviewed the course with Huffman on his computer racing game.
* The Navy team's last trip to Mexico resulted in a 15th-place finish in the same car the team is bringing back to the track this year.
* The Navy team will run chassis No. JRM 011 in Sunday's race in Mexico. The team ran the same car in both road course events in 2006. Martin Truex Jr. started 11th and finished sixth in this car last year at Watkins Glen International.
* Chassis JRM 011 is also the same car Truex Jr. won the inagural race at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez with in 2005. It was one of the first chassis JR Motorsports purchased while preparing for the 2006 season.
* Last weekend at California Speedway, Huffman started 24th in his first race at the two-mile track. He ran as high as ninth in the No. 88 Navy Chevrolet before finishing 21st.
* In 13 career NASCAR Busch Series races, Huffman has earned one top five and two top-10 finishes. His best-career start and finish came in last season's Sam's Town 250 at Memphis Motorsports Park. Huffman started that race third and finished fifth.
* Two races into the season, Huffman currently sits 25th in the point standings, just 48 points out of the top 10.
Shane Huffman, Driver, No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
"I've never competed on a road course before, so Mexico will be another first for me in 2007. I went to Bondurant back in January and then tested with the team at VIR before we went down to Daytona and I have to say that was one of the coolest things I've ever done in a race car. It's a totally different experience. I can't wait to get down to Mexico and compete against a field full of drivers. We've got a great car and I'm ready to go."
Wes Ward, Crew Chief, No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
"This weekend should be interesting for the Navy team since it'll be Shane's first road course race. We tested at VIR during the winter and he did really well. I think it's going to be a tougher transition for him than he anticipates, but it's good that he's excited to get out there and race. A lot of the drivers dread going to road courses and have such a negative attitude going in to that kind of races. Shane's positive outlook on the race helps pump everyone else up, so we're all looking forward to this weekend."