* On Saturday, NASCAR Busch Series driver Mark McFarland will drive the JR Motorsports No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS in the Meijer 300 presented by Oreo at Kentucky Speedway. * Saturday's race will be McFarland's...
* On Saturday, NASCAR Busch Series driver Mark McFarland will drive the JR Motorsports No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS in the Meijer 300 presented by Oreo at Kentucky Speedway.
* Saturday's race will be McFarland's first Busch race at Kentucky Speedway, but not his first visit to the track. In 2004, McFarland went to a test session at Kentucky and spotted for two-time Busch Series champion Randy LaJoie in the Truck Series race at the track later that year.
* The team is bringing chassis No. 10 to Kentucky Speedway this weekend. The car was last raced last weekend at Nashville Superspeedway, where McFarland started 11th and finished 22nd.
* McFarland and the JR Motorsports team picked up their best-ever finish of seventh in April at Talladega Superspeedway. The run also marked the team and driver's first-ever top 10 as well.
* JR Motorsports and The Cycle Xchange have teamed up to create a one-of-a-kind custom chopper benefiting the Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Central and Western North Carolina. The 2006 TCX/Dale Earnhardt Jr. Chopper debuted at the Speed Street Festival in Charlotte on May 25 and is scheduled to be on display at select NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series races and select motorcycle rallies including Sturgis Bike Week. The chopper will be up for bid on eBay (www.ebay.com/dalejr) starting at 11 p.m. EST on Sept. 29. Dale Jr. will present the chopper to the winning bidder during on-stage festivities at the 7th Annual Celebrity/Sports Auction on Oct. 24.
Mark McFarland, Driver of No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
"I've never raced at Kentucky before, but I have spotted for another driver, so I have a general idea about how to get around the track, plus it's pretty similar to some of the other tracks we run on.
"The guys back at the shop have been working their tails off building new cars and fixing some of the ones we've raced. We're running a brand new car this weekend and I plan to bring home a good finish to show the guys how much their hard work has paid off."
Rich Hubbs, Crew Chief of No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
"We were going to take a new car to the track, but since Nashville and Kentucky are similar and the car ran well last weekend, we're going to bring the same car to the track this week. There was some damage after Mark backed into the wall early in the race at Nashville, so the guys are working hard at the shop this week to get it turned around in time to leave on Thursday."
* The fleet honoree for Saturday's race at Kentucky Speedway is the USS Shreveport (LPD 12). It was commissioned in 1970 in Bremerton, Wash. She has received the Navy Unit Commendation, the Navy Expeditionary Medal and the Meritorious Unit Commendation. In her most recent deployment, the USS Shreveport set out to support Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2004. As an Afloat Forward Staging Base, Shreveport participated in intelligence gathering missions off the Horn of Africa, and led the defense of the Al Basra and Khawr Al Amaya Oil Terminals off the coast of Iraq.