McFarland and Navy Team Ready for ORP O'Reilly Raceway Park Notes * NASCAR Busch Series driver Mark McFarland will drive the No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo in Saturday's 25th annual Kroger 200 at O'Reilly Raceway ...
McFarland and Navy Team Ready for ORP
O'Reilly Raceway Park Notes
* NASCAR Busch Series driver Mark McFarland will drive the No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo in Saturday's 25th annual Kroger 200 at O'Reilly Raceway Park.
* Saturday's race will mark McFarland's first Busch race at O'Reilly Raceway Park, but it will be his second start at the track. He finished 29th in the Truck Series event there in 2004.
* The team is running chassis No. 016 at O'Reilly Raceway Park. This chassis last raced at Martinsville Speedway in July, where McFarland qualified fourth and finished 16th.
* On Wednesday, McFarland is scheduled to visit the Boy Scouts of America's 2006 National Order of the Arrow Conference at Michigan State University. There he will speak and sign autographs for the Arrowmen in attendance.
* JR Motorsports and The Cycle Xchange have teamed up to create a one-of-a-kind custom chopper benefiting the Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Central and Western North Carolina. The 2006 TCX/Dale Earnhardt Jr. Chopper debuted at the Speed Street Festival in Charlotte on May 25 and is scheduled to be on display at select NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series races and select motorcycle rallies including Sturgis Bike Week. The chopper will be up for bid on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/dalejr) starting at 11 p.m. EST on Sept. 29. Dale Jr. will present the chopper to the winning bidder during on-stage festivities at the 7th Annual Celebrity/Sports Auction on Oct. 24.
Mark McFarland, Driver of No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
"O'Reilly Raceway Park is a typical short track, kind of like Mansfield, where I've run a few times before in the Truck and Hooters Pro Cup Series. It's fun track to race on. Unlike most tracks you run high in both corners there, which is pretty cool.
"Indianapolis is also a cool city to visit. I've been there a few times for races and for the PRI show and we always have a good time."
Wes Ward, Crew Chief of No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
"It's a neat little track that brings us back to the Saturday night, short track racing where most of us started out.
"There's usually a lot of beating and banging and track position is everything. Drivers can get frustrated if they have a good car and get stuck in the back. The whole night is dictated by where you qualify."
* The fleet honoree for Saturday's race at O'Reilly Raceway Park is the VX 9. It was commissioned in June 1951 at Naval Air Station Moffett Field, California and was assigned to develop and evaluate aircraft tactics and techniques for delivery of airborne special weapons. Today the VX 9's mission has grown to include the operational evaluation of attack, fighter, and electronic warfare aircraft, weapons systems and equipment, and to develop tactical procedures for their employment.