CLINT BOWYER Hungrier Than Ever Heading to LMS Huntersville, N.C. (Oct. 11, 2005) -- ACDelco driver Clint Bowyer may have lost a little ground on Martin Truex, Jr. and the title chase after last weekend's unfortunate 16th place finish at ...
Hungrier Than Ever Heading to LMS
Huntersville, N.C. (Oct. 11, 2005) -- ACDelco driver Clint Bowyer may have lost a little ground on Martin Truex, Jr. and the title chase after last weekend's unfortunate 16th place finish at Kansas Speedway, but he sure didn't loose his appetite or hunger for this year's crown. Bowyer finds himself in the midst of the sixth-closest point's race in series history with five races to go heading into Friday nights running of the Dollar General 300 at Lowe's Motor Speedway (LMS). With all that is on the line, he is hungrier than ever to get back after it this weekend.
"The best thing about last weekend was that it was close to my hometown, my home track and it was important for me to run good there," said Bowyer. "And we did run well. We ran up front all day long. We had a top-three car for sure. We just didn't get the finish right there at the end. By no means did we have anything to really frown on. Yeah we lost some points, but I think it has just made all of us that much hungrier these last five races. I think we should be just fine."
Bowyer knows what it is going to take to reel in the No. 8 and is fully aware that it needs to start this weekend. The Real Car Guys feel that their 1.5-mile program is their strong suit and are ready to put it to the test in three of the final five races. Everything seems to be in place for Bowyer and his No. 2 ACDelco team to continue to thrive in their quest for the Busch Series Championship.
"We have been running in front of the No. 8 and that is what it's going to take," said Bowyer. "We just have to make sure we get the finishes. The mile-and-a-half racetracks have been really good to us. We have to attack it just how we did at Kansas, Texas, and all the rest of these tracks. We have to go in there with a lot of confidence and make sure we get things handled. We just can't afford to beat ourselves. It seems like every time we get really close to the points lead we have kind of stubbed our toe and beat ourselves. Those are the things we have to make sure we capitalize on and don't do again."
Points of Interest...
* Runnin' It...The Real Car Guys will take chassis No. 39 to Lowe's Motor Speedway this weekend. This chassis was first run at Texas Motor Speedway where it brought home a sixth place finish after starting 29th. Then it ran at Lowe's Motor Speedway where it brought home a 32nd place finish after a cut-tire caused the poor finish. It had started ninth. Chicagoland Speedway was next where it brought home a sixth place finish after starting 24th. And most recently it was run at Michigan International Speedway where it finished 30th two laps down after it led the most laps, 62 to be exact. Fuel filler problems caused the disappointing finish.
* Track Stat... Bowyer has two races under his belt at Lowe's Motor Speedway. He drove the No. 33 of Kevin Harvick, Inc. to a 10th place finish after starting 12th on October 15, 2004. His most recent start came earlier this year in the No. 2 ACDelco Chevrolet where he finished 32nd after sustaining a cut tire. He started ninth.
* ACDelco DuraStop 'Brake Bucks'... Bowyer's No. 2 ACDelco Chevrolet will carry the logos of ACDelco's DuraStop 'Brake Bucks.' A promotion that runs through the end of October where consumers will receive a cash rebate on the purchase of ACDelco premium brakes.
* 2005 Top-10's... In Bowyer's 30 NASCAR Busch Series starts this year, more than half of his finishes have been in the top-10. He heads to Lowe's Motor Speedway with 18 top-10 finishes, which is 60%.
* NBS Points...After 30 races in the 2005 season, Bowyer sits second in the points standings. He's now 49 markers out of the lead with one win, 10 top-five and 18 top-10 finishes.
* Media Opp...Bowyer will be available outside the No. 2 ACDelco hauler for 30 minutes to field any questions from the media after the first NBS practice on Thursday, approximately from 3:05 p.m. to 3:35 p.m. This exercise will be in effect for the remainder of the year. A reminder will be in each advance updating time and location.
* Start time...Friday's Dollar General 300 is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. EDT. TV coverage of the 200-lap event on TNT begins at 8:00 p.m., with live radio coverage beginning at 8:00 p.m. EDT on your local PRN Radio affiliate and XM Satellite Radio. Remember times and dates of the race may change so check your local listings.
No. 2 ACDelco driver Clint Bowyer on Lowe's Motor Speedway ...
How are you approaching this Friday night? What is your goal?
"Our goal is to lead a lap and hopefully the most laps. We have got to get those bonus points. Those are the points that are going to help you. Martin Truex isn't just going to lay down and give you points. Our backs are up against the wall and we are hopefully only going to go forward from here on out. Truex may have to play a little more cautious on some things. Maybe some pit calls or things they normally wouldn't do that we can go ahead and gamble on. I think that is a positive for sure."
How do you feel about your chances on the remaining races in the season?
"I still feel we need a couple more wins and I think we can still get one or two by the end of the year. We have some good racetracks for us coming up. The best thing is that we have been to all but one of the tracks already and I am looking forward to going back again. I know Texas has been good to us. In Phoenix we were running really good and got wrecked early in the race. But, we were really good in practice. I just have a lot of confidence going back to those race tracks we ran good at. We just have to be consistent like we have been all year long and I think the rest will take care of itself."