No. 12 Penske Racing Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger News and Notes * This Week's Charger... The No. 12 Verizon Wireless Dodge team will race chassis PRS-018 during Saturday's NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Bristol Motor Speedway. This is a ...
No. 12 Penske Racing Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger News and Notes
* This Week's Charger... The No. 12 Verizon Wireless Dodge team will race chassis PRS-018 during Saturday's NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Bristol Motor Speedway. This is a brand new car to the Verizon Wireless team.
* First Time... Rookie-of-the-Year candidate Justin Allgaier will make his first start at Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend.
* Top-10 Result... Allgaier captured his first-ever top-10 Nationwide Series finish three weeks ago at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in the Verizon Wireless Dodge. The 22-year-old Illinois native took the checkered flag in the eighth position.
* Come and See Me... Allgaier will sign autographs at the Penske Racing souvenir trailer on Friday, March 20 from 10:30-11:00 am. EST. The trailer is located on souvenir row along the front stretch at Bristol Motor Speedway.
* Dialed In... Allgaier will visit the Verizon Wireless store on Clear Creek Road in Bristol,Tennessee after NASCAR Nationwide Series practice on Friday afternoon, March 20. The talented rookie racer will sign autographs and visit with employees from 7-8 pm EST.
* The Vote Is In... Members of the NASCAR media voted recently on their choice to emerge as the 2009 Raybestos Rookie of the Year in the Nationwide Series. The results showed voters believe Allgaier will edge out Brendan Gaughan for the rookie crown. Allgaier, driver of the No. 12 Verizon Wireless Dodge, outdistanced Gaughan, 277 votes to 266. Allgaier had 19 first-place votes to Gaughan's 14.
Justin Allgaier on driving at Bristol Motor Speedway
"Bristol is a race track where I have never had the chance to race. However, after making the trip to watch the NASCAR events, I have been waiting for the chance to get behind the wheel and drive. Bristol is a beast. It is tough to finish races because there is a lot happening in a short amount of track space. I have really leaned on my teammates who have all had success in Bristol to try and find anything to increase our chances of getting a solid finish for our Verizon Wireless Dodge.
"I am looking forward to the challenge. Typically I have been better on short tracks so I am looking forward to the first short track of the season. (Crew chief) Chad [Walter] has a lot of success in Bristol. I am hoping that with his knowledge and the great cars Penske Racing provides every week, we will be a dominant force."
Crew Chief Chad Walter on Racing at Bristol Motor Speedway
"Bristol is a great place to race. It is close racing for 300 laps. As a crew chief, you have to get the car comfortable for the driver to be aggressive every once in a while. The car has to be predictable so when the driver sees an opening he can take it.
"Justin has done a great job getting adjusted to the tracks. We have been to four tracks this season and he has never seen three of them. He has really done his homework, looking at race tapes and talking to the other Penske Racing drivers about what he needs to do on the track. As a team, we can't ask any more out of him.
"We know we need to get a good starting spot in order to have a strong race. Track position is paramount. You have to keep your car in the lead pack all day to have a shot for the win. I am confident if we stay out of trouble all day we will have another strong run with our Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger."