Huntersville, N.C. -- Joey Logano was born in Middletown, CT. He now lives in Charlotte, N.C. Early in his teenage years, however, Logano lived in Atlanta, GA, the site of this weekend's Nationwide NASCAR race. A victory this weekend, coupled...
Huntersville, N.C. -- Joey Logano was born in Middletown, CT. He now lives in Charlotte, N.C. Early in his teenage years, however, Logano lived in Atlanta, GA, the site of this weekend's Nationwide NASCAR race. A victory this weekend, coupled with his Sprint Cup win at New Hampshire in June, would put Logano closer to achieving his personal "hat trick" when NASCAR visits Charlotte in October. With the muscle that he has flexed on the "intermediate" tracks this season that could easily become reality.
All three of Logano's Nationwide Series victories in 2009 have taken place on tracks either 1.3-miles or 1.5-miles in length. Atlanta's high-banked, high-speed layout will provide Logano another challenge in which to showcase his enormous talent. In reality, he has already visited Victory Lane at Atlanta. While racing in the Legends Car division on the quarter-mile track located in the infield of the 1.54-mile venue, Logano was consistently beating guys twice his age. In his young NASCAR career, Logano is still competing against -- and beating -- drivers who are much older than his 19 years.
Joey Logano Quotes
"I love going back to race at Atlanta. My dad and I spent a lot of time at that track when I was growing up and racing on the quarter-mile track. I always pictured myself racing in NASCAR and winning races on the speedway. Hopefully we can get the first win this weekend. I was fortunate to win a lot of Legends Car races at Atlanta, but a win in the GameStop Toyota would be really cool. We want to continue to put this car in position for a good finish in the owner point standings."
"There aren't many places where I have a Sprint Cup start, but no Nationwide starts. Atlanta is one of those tracks. I may have never been there in a Nationwide car, but I have tons of confidence in Dave Rogers (Crew Chief) and all of the guys on this GameStop Toyota team. We all expect to go down there and run up front because we have been doing that all year on these types of tracks. The racetrack is a blast to drive in the Cup car so I know it will be a fun race on Saturday. It's fast and a little worn out, so you are slipping and sliding. I really like it. I'll like it even more if we can get a win."
* This race will be Logano's NASCAR Nationwide Series debut at the Atlanta Motor Speedway.
* Despite running a partial Nationwide Series schedule in 2009, Logano remains in the top 15 in the series points standings.
* At the age of 12, Logano set a track record at Atlanta Motor Speedway by recording 14 consecutive wins in Legends Car competition. That same year he became the youngest champion in Legends Car history.
* In 16 Nationwide Series starts at Atlanta, Joe Gibbs Racing has recorded 3 top-5 finishes, 6 top-10 finishes and one pole.
* The Beatles: Rock Band, a music video game developed by Harmonix Music Systems and published by MTV Games, will adorn the No. 20 Toyota this weekend along with GameStop. The game will feature 45 songs spanning the group's career.