RON HORNADAY Huntersville, N.C. (June 7, 2005) -- A dominating performance last weekend in Dover has given the No. 6 GM Goodwrench team confidence and momentum heading into this Friday's Chex 400k at Texas Motor Speedway. The team showed that...
Huntersville, N.C. (June 7, 2005) -- A dominating performance last weekend in Dover has given the No. 6 GM Goodwrench team confidence and momentum heading into this Friday's Chex 400k at Texas Motor Speedway. The team showed that they could get out front and stay out front and that they want to continue riding that wave to victory lane. With seventeen races left to go in the season driver Ron Hornaday feels as though they are right on track.
"We go out every week trying to win," explained Hornaday. "If we don't win we are out there racing for points. My team is committed to the championship race and I think that we are right on track. Of course I would like to be leading the points, but we are in a position where we are close enough to strike. The competition level is so high that any mishap can put you in a hole. We have had a few, but I think that we are climbing out and getting to where we need to be."
Crew chief Wally Rogers shares the same sentiments as his driver. "We want to win," said Rogers, "but if we gain in the points and don't finish first that is okay. I think that we have gotten ourselves to a point that people have to pay attention to what we are doing. I know that I am watching what is going on with the other teams so I am guessing that they are watching us. That is where we want to be. We picked up some momentum in Dover and it is time to take advantage."
Points of Interest...
* Off the Hauler...Team GM Goodwrench will take chassis No. 008 to Texas Motor Speedway this weekend. This is crew chief Wally Rogers' favorite truck and was the one that led 134 of 200 laps last weekend in Dover.
* New Father... Crew Chief Wally Rogers is the new father of twin daughters. Cali Jean and Emma Renee were born last Friday night at approximately 9:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. His wife Renee and both daughters are in good health.
* Track Stat... This will be Hornaday's fifth running at Texas Motor Speedway in a truck. He has two 10th place finishes in his previous attempts at the track.
* NCTS Points...After 8 races in the 2005 season, Hornaday sits fourth in points, with one win, three top-fives and four top-10 finishes. Hornaday now sits 100 markers out of first.
* Start time...Friday night's Chex 400k is scheduled for 9:00 p.m. EDT. TV coverage of the event on SPEED Channel begins at 9:00 p.m., with live radio coverage also beginning at 9:00 p.m. EDT on your local MRN Radio affiliate and on XM Satellite Radio -- channel 144. Remember times and dates of the race may change so check your local listings.
No. 6 GM Goodwrench Driver Ron Hornaday on Texas Motor Speedway...
How is Texas?
"Don't mess with Texas! I see that on T-shirts and hats, and when it comes to racing at Texas Motor Speedway, it's the truth. Texas is a fast race track and one where if you hit the set up correctly, you can run away from the pack and stay in clean air. It is so important to be good right off the truck. If you can just make minor tweaks, you will be in great shape during the race. But if you have to chase the setup all weekend and look for speed, you most likely will never find it. The leader has a tremendous advantage here and they typically pull away to large leads. That gives you the ability to make perfect passes and run a consistent pace. The only factor that can affect a fast or slow car is the weather. It always seems like rain comes sometime during the weekend, so Wally (Rogers) will have to be part weather man and part crew chief."
Last week you came so close, can you get it done this week?
"Absolutely we can get it done. We are taking the same truck from last week, which I really like. This is a highly motivated team and last week just makes us want it even more. We are ready to get racing. It is nice to get a little rhythm going with these back-to-back weekends and we are going to take advantage."
Are you happy to have your crew chief back this weekend?
"Of course it will be nice to be back racing with Wally. Last week he and the guys had the truck set-up perfectly, so he didn't even need to be there, but I would like to have him back this weekend. I know that he hated being away from the track last weekend, but I think it was a pretty good cause. I am so happy for him and his wife with the birth of their beautiful twin daughters."