Rain was the lead storyline at Richmond International Raceway Friday night in the Busch Series Circuit City 250. After two red flags for rain, the weather finally relented, as the Busch series raced in the wee hours to settle who would win.

Once Kevin Harvick's toughest foe, Kasey Kahne wrecked late in the race, it was all Harvick. A jumble of lapped traffic in the races closing laps allowed him to keep his competitors at bay as he sailed to his third win of the season.

As the race wound down, Harvick's Cup series teammate Jeff Burton started putting the pressure no Harvick - but it became a race of who could get around lapped down cars better. In the end, that person was Harvick.

"His car was probably a little bit better, I just had the track position," Harvick said. "He was all the way up beside me and was able to use the lapped cars as a pick with six laps to go but everything worked out in the end."

Harvick has won three of the last four Busch events bringing his career total to 20.

"This is really, realty awesome," said a jubilant Harvick.

"The best run we had, I caught that lapped traffic but that's the way it goes," said Burton who finished second.

It's been quite a whirlwind weekend for Harvick, who announced Friday afternoon that he had extended his contract with Richard Childress through the 2009 season. The Busch series victory last night extends his lead in series points to 313 over other RCR teammate Clint Bowyer.

Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle and Ryan Newman complete the top five.

"We just couldn't beat them," Kenseth said."They are kind of in a league of their own. They've put a lot of work into their Busch cars."

There were 13 caution flags, just one off the record - which is 14.

Jason Leffler started on the pole but just after the command for 'gentlemen start your engines' a steady rain began peppering the race track. After an hour delay, the green flag finally waved just after 9:00 PM but they were only able to get in 12 laps before the skies opened up.

After a 20-minute red flag the field, NASCAR attempted to restart the field but the rain began again. It would take another 45 minutes before race fans saw the green flag but this time Mother Nature decided to cut the Busch series a break - and the race ran green from there.