Discount Tire Team Facts: * Fourth Start: Reed Sorenson will attempt to qualify for his fourth NASCAR Busch Series race in the No. 41 Discount Tire Dodge at Darlington Raceway. Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix...
Discount Tire Team Facts:
* Fourth Start: Reed Sorenson will attempt to qualify for his fourth NASCAR Busch Series race in the No. 41 Discount Tire Dodge at Darlington Raceway. Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates and Discount Tire Co. announced last week that Sorenson would be running the full NASCAR Busch Series season in 2005 and making a run at the rookie of the year title.
* CGRwFS: Jamie McMurray gave Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates its first NASCAR Busch Series win last weekend in Phoenix in just six starts. It was McMurray's 100th-career start and his sixth win in the Busch Series. He was making just his second start in the No. 41 Discount Tire Dodge.
* Darlington Facts: Sorenson and the Discount Tire team tested at Darlington Raceway last Monday in preparation for his first event on the 1.366-mile oval.
* Chassis: Crew chief Brian Pattie and the Discount Tire Team are bringing chassis #451 to Darlington Raceway this weekend. The team tested this car at the Darlington last week and Sorenson piloted this car to a 13th-place finish at Indianapolis Raceway Park in August.
* Tire Fast Fact: Plus sizing is one of the easiest ways to achieve enhanced performance and improve the appearance of your vehicle. First, the tire is wider and therefore gives us a larger footprint and second, the sidewall becomes shorter and more rigid. The two added together give better lateral stability and increased steering response. For example, a 15x7 wheel with a 205/65R-15 tire is considered the original equipment size. Converting to a plus 1 size would mean increasing the wheel diameter by 1" (16x7.5) and selecting an appropriate tire to fit (225/55R-16).
Reed Sorenson Quote:
"We tested at Darlington last week and that was my first time seeing the place," said Sorenson. "When I went into the test, I knew the track was going to be fun. We had a good time testing there. The car looked like it had been through a race already by the time the test was complete. It was all beat up on the right side and had all kinds of other good stuff wrong with it. We got all that out of the way so when we go there this weekend we can keep the Discount Tire Dodge looking decent.
"I was talking to a couple of guys on the team and they said every time they've taken somebody there for the first time, they've always smack the wall. I think that place is one of those places where you've got to take it to the edge, find out where it is, go ahead and get there and then back off a little bit. After running Memphis on a short track and watching those guys beat and bang, I'm sure that it will be an interesting race. It's getting down toward the end of the season and the regulars are getting kind of anxious while people like us are trying to get the best finish we can."