SHERRILLS FORD, N.C. (Aug. 18, 1998) In the midst of their third season together, Michael Waltrip and the Wood Brothers Race Team have mutually decided to part ways upon completion of the 1998 NASCAR Winston Cup season. Both parties agreed it was...
SHERRILLS FORD, N.C. (Aug. 18, 1998) In the midst of their third season together, Michael Waltrip and the Wood Brothers Race Team have mutually decided to part ways upon completion of the 1998 NASCAR Winston Cup season. Both parties agreed it was in each other's best interest to explore other opportunities.
"I signed a letter of intent at Indianapolis and intended to stay another year," Waltrip said. "But we've continued to struggle the last few races and early last week I talked with Eddie and Len (Wood) and they were feeling the same thing that I was feeling. We both agreed we should try something different."
Eddie Wood, car owner and co-crew chief, confirmed that the decision to split was mutual and stressed that everyone involved wants to finish this season on a high note.
"After we signed our letter of intent, we felt it might turn us in the right direction," said Wood. "It was kind of odd though how it happened. The Monday after Watkins Glen, Len and I got on the phone to Michael, while he was trying to call us on the other line. It didn't takes us long to figure out we were both thinking the same thing.
"We talked it over and both agreed to split at the end of the season. We also agreed both the team and Waltrip would work hard to finish this season strong."
Waltrip said during a NASCAR Online chat Tuesday that he was "not sure what Winston Cup team I'll be driving for in 1999, but I'm looking forward to a situation that I can be happy with."
The highlight of Waltrip's association with the Wood Brothers, which began in 1996, happened late that spring at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. After taking the fifth and final transfer spot in the Winston Open qualifying event, Waltrip scored a dramatic victory in NASCAR's All-Star event, The Winston Select.
The Wood Brothers have not decided who will drive the Citgo Ford next year.
Source: NASCAR Online