Kyle Busch Tames Texas In NASCAR Doubleheader Top Performances In Monday's Consecutive NASCAR National Series Races Earn Multiple Post-Race Awards For Busch, JGR Teams CHARLOTTE, N.C. (April 21, 2010) -- Soggy weather may have forced a ...
Kyle Busch Tames Texas In NASCAR Doubleheader
Top Performances In Monday's Consecutive NASCAR National Series Races Earn Multiple Post-Race Awards For Busch, JGR Teams
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (April 21, 2010) -- Soggy weather may have forced a rare doubleheader at Texas Motor Speedway, but Kyle Busch's impressive back-to-back race performances in Monday's twin bill were the real showstoppers.After logging 800 miles in two different NASCAR national series races, Busch left the Lone Star state with a top five, a win and numerous post-race honors.
Busch, who finished third in Monday's rain-delayed NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Samsung Mobile 500, scored his best finish of the season. Smart calls atop the pit box earned crew chief Dave Roger's the "DIRECTV Crew Chief of the Race" Award.
Each race, the "DIRECTV Crew Chief of the Race" Award is presented to the crew chief of the driver who demonstrates the best qualifying and race effort as determined by averaging the sum of their qualifying and race finish. The award is part of the NASCAR Prize Money and Decal Program, also referred to as the contingency program, which provides teams prize money and weekly awards based on performance in several categories.
Rogers, who made a game-changing tire strategy call in the closing laps of the race, helped put Busch in a position to wheel the No. 18 Interstate Batteries Toyota to a top-five finish.
"There was a lot of work that went into that one for sure," said Busch during the post-race press conference. "The guys never gave up on pit road and Dave made some good race calls for us to try to get us back in position and get us up there."
A mere three hours and 300 laps later, Busch went on to win the NASCAR Nationwide Series O'Reilly Auto Parts 300. He picked up his 33rd NASCAR Nationwide Series victoryplus post-race contingency honors for his No. 18 Z-Line Designs Toyota team, including the Mahle Clevite Engine Builder of the Race, WIX Filters Lap Leader and Sunoco Diamond Performance awards.
With Denny Hamlin having won the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race earlier in the day, Busch completed the sweep for Joe Gibbs Racing, marking the first time an organization has won both legs of a same-day NASCAR doubleheader.
"Once you figure it out here, you have to stick with it," Busch said,while celebrating a personal historical milestone -- his fifth consecutive NASCAR Nationwide Series win at Texas Motor Speedway. "Something clicked in 2007 here, and I've used it ever since."
Busch currently leads the NASCAR Nationwide standings and sits a solid sixth n the NASCAR Sprint Cup standings heading into Talladega. Official winners of this week's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Prize Money & Decal Program special awards include:
* COORS LIGHT POLE AWARD: Tony Stewart (191.327 mph, 28.224 secs.)
* DIRECTV CREW CHIEF OF THE RACE AWARD: Dave Rogers (crew chief for Kyle Busch)
* GOODYEAR GATORBACK BELTS FASTEST LAP AWARD: Tony Stewart (188.35 mph, Lap 2)
* MAHLE CLEVITE ENGINE BUILDER OF THE RACE AWARD: Denny Hamlin
* MOBIL 1 "COMMAND PERFORMANCE DRIVER OF THE RACE" AWARD: Kurt Busch
* MOOG CHASSIS PARTS PROBLEM SOLVER OF THE RACE AWARD: Pat Tryson(crew chief for Martin Truex Jr.)
* O'REILLY AUTO PARTS POSITION IMPROVEMENT AWARD: Denny Hamlin (28 places)
* RAYBESTOS ROOKIE OF THE RACE AWARD: Kevin Conway
* SUNOCO DIAMOND PERFORMANCE AWARD: Denny Hamlin
* TISSOT "PIT ROAD PRECISION" AWARD: Dale Earnhardt Jr. (275.470 secs.)
* WIX FILTERS LAP LEADER AWARD: Tony Stewart (74 laps)
Official winners of this week's NASCAR Nationwide Series Prize Money & Decal Program special awards include:
* COORS 21 MEANS 21 POLE AWARD: Joey Logano (185.663 mph)
* FEATHERLITE MOST IMPROVED DRIVER: Steve Wallace, (21 Places)
* MAHLE CLEVITE ENGINE BUILDER OF THE RACE AWARD: Kyle Busch
* MOBIL 1 "COMMAND PERFORMANCE DRIVER OF THE RACE" AWARD:Reed Sorenson
* RAYBESTOS ROOKIE OF THE RACE AWARD: Colin Braun
* SUNOCO DIAMOND PERFORMANCE AWARD: Kyle Busch
* WIX FILTERS LAP LEADER AWARD: Kyle Busch (153 laps)
About the NASCAR Prize Money & Decal Program
The NASCAR Prize Money & Decal Program, commonly referred to as the contingency program, is administered by the NASCAR Automotive Group. The program strives to build strong relationships with high-quality, performance-driven brands that are leaders in their respective categories and award money to NASCAR teams via per-race and year-end postings. Competitors become eligible for awards money by displaying partner decals on the front fender of their race vehicles and, in some instances, use of a sponsor's product. National series contingency sponsors will contribute over $8.8 million to NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, NASCAR Nationwide Series, and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series teams in 2010.