Skinner out for at least one more race By Shawn A. Akers
WELCOME, N.C. (April 27, 1998)
Mike Skinner has not been given medical clearance and will not be behind the wheel of the No. 31 Lowe's Home Improvement Chevrolet this weekend for the NASCAR Winston Cup Series California 500 presented by NAPA at California Speedway in Fontana.
Lowe's Public Relations Representative Bob Moore said that with Morgan Shepherd, who filled in for Skinner at Martinsville Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway, not available due to his being named as driver of the No. 46 Team SABCO Chevrolet on Monday, the team might rely on a regular NASCAR Busch Series Grand National Division driver to fill the seat of the No. 31 Chevrolet for this Sunday's race.
NBS pilot Mike Dillon, the son-in-law of team owner Richard Childress, has spelled Childress' drivers in races and test sessions in the past and is one of the prospective drivers to fill the seat of the No. 31 Chevrolet.
Skinner is recovering from injuries suffered in a hard crash during the April 5 Texas 500 at Texas Motor Speedway. He re-injured his shoulder, which has been a lingering injury for him over his career, and suffered a broken wrist in the accident.
"The doctors basically have told Mike that he needed to stay out of the car another week or 10 days or so," Moore said. "They told him that he was healing up well, but that the best thing for him would be to completely heal before he gets back in the car. They're afraid if he takes another hard hit, then he'll lose all that he's gained the last couple of weeks."
Moore said the target for Skinner's return is the weekend of May 16, for The Winston all-star race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. After the race at California, the NASCAR Winston Cup Series will take a weekend off, allowing more time for Skinner's injuries to heal.
"They (Childress and the team) were talking about going with a Busch driver, and Mike Dillon is the leading candidate," Moore said. "He knows the cars and has taken some laps in them, and he ran at California well in the Busch race last year. They've also talked to a couple of more guys about it, nothing has really been decided about it."
Source: NASCAR Online