NASCAR Winston Cup Drivers Tackle Road Course at Sears Point Raceway, June 21-24
WHAT: Sears Point Raceway will host the Dodge/Save Mart 350 NASCAR Winston Cup, June 21-24. Forty-three drivers will tackle the twisting 10-turn, 2-mile road course. This is one of just two road-course events on the 36-race NASCAR schedule. The weekend will also feature the Snap-on Tools 200 NASCAR Featherlite Southwest Series and the International Truck Challenge.
WHERE: Sears Point Raceway, Highways 37 & 121, Sonoma.
WHEN: Thursday, June 21-Sunday, June 24.
COURSE: Racers will compete on the 10-turn, 2-mile road course.
WHO: Jeff Gordon will look for his fourth straight win at Sears Point Raceway. Gordon has won the last three years and has also started on the pole two of the last three years. Moreover, Gordon has won the last six of seven events on road courses (three at Sears Point and three at Watkins Glen, N.Y.), making him the favorite. Other past Sears Point winners who will challenge include Mark Martin (1997) and Rusty Wallace (1990, 1996). The race will span 112 laps.
NOTES: Martin has finished no lower than eighth at Sears Point since 1994.
* John Andretti has placed third two of the last three years.
* Ford (five) and Chevrolet (five) have accounted for 10 victories at Sears Point. Buick and Pontiac each have one victory.
* Ricky Rudd has started on the pole at Sears Point a record four times.
* Michael Waltrip has completed the most laps at Sears Point (996).
* Gordon has led the most laps at Sears Point (166).
* This will mark Dodge's first trip to Sears Point Raceway.
* Drivers will encounter a modified segment of track in 2001 at the Chute, which connects Turns 4 and 7 on the road course. The modification will hopefully provide drivers with a passing zone at Turn 7, and possibly another one at the new Turn 4a.
PAST WINNERS: Rudd (1989), Wallace (1990, '96 ), Davey Allison (1991), Ernie Irvan (1992, '94), Geoffrey Bodine (1993), Dale Earnhardt (1995), Martin (1997), Gordon (1998, '99, 2000).
OTHER: The racing weekend will also feature the Snap-on Tools 200 NASCAR Featherlite Southwest Series race on Saturday, June 23. Jim Inglebright, of nearby Fairfield (Ca.) returns as the defending champion. The race will span 64 laps.
SCHEDULE: Southwest Series qualifying will take place Thursday (3 p.m.) and Friday (8:30 a.m.). The Snap-on Tools 200 will begin on Saturday at noon. NASCAR Winston Cup practice begins Friday (10:30 a.m.), with qualifying set for 2 p.m. The Dodge/Save Mart 350 will begin on Sunday at 12:30 p.m.
TELEVISION: NASCAR Winston Cup qualifying will be televised on FOX Sports Net, and the Dodge/Save Mart 350 will be broadcast on FOX.
TICKETS: ADVANCE - (All prices are general admission) Thursday, $15; Friday, $20; Saturday, $35; Sunday, $60. Prices increase at the gate. Children 12 and under are free. For more information, please call 800-870-RACE or visit www.searspoint.com or www.tickets.com