The Home Depot Team Notes of Interest * Joey Logano will make his NASCAR Sprint Cup Series debut at Richmond International Raceway (RIR) regardless of what Mother Nature has to say about it. Logano attempted to qualify for the Cup event at the...
The Home Depot Team Notes of Interest
* Joey Logano will make his NASCAR Sprint Cup Series debut at Richmond International Raceway (RIR) regardless of what Mother Nature has to say about it. Logano attempted to qualify for the Cup event at the short track last season, but inclement weather canceled track activity. Logano and The Home Depot Team, who currently sits 33rd in points, compete in the Russ Friedman 400 on Saturday night. He will also race in the NASCAR Nationwide race on Friday evening for a weekend double-header.
* The Home Depot Racing Team and crew chief Greg Zipadelli have 20 starts at Richmond International Raceway. The team has accumulated three wins, eight top-five and 14 top-10 finishes. The team finished fourth in last year's spring race at RIR.
* About last week: Logano had a career race last weekend at Talladega Superspeedway when he drafted his way to his first Sprint Cup Series top 10. In just his first Cup start at the 2.66-mile track, Logano took the green flag from the 21st position and led four laps before crossing the finish line in ninth.
* Logano maintains an eight point lead over Scott Speed in the Raybestos Rookie standings 98-90. The duo became the first pair of rookies to finish in the top 10 in the spring race at Talladega since 1980. Last year's top rookie finished 23rd in the spring event at RIR.
* The Home Depot Team is taking chassis #237 to the track this weekend. Logano recently piloted this No. 20 Toyota Camry to a 21st-place finish at Phoenix International Raceway. This is just the second time the chassis has been on the track.
"The last three weeks have been pretty good weeks for me and the team. After the Nationwide win in Nashville we went to Phoenix and worked on the car during the race and came home in a respectable position. Last weekend at Talladega we ran up front, led some laps and earned our first top 10 as a team. That was huge. I know The Home Depot Team was really excited, and I was too but I was also pretty disappointed. We were in a position to make a run at the win with five to go, so when you don't win you try and figure out what you could have done differently.
"This weekend it's back to short track racing and to Richmond. Last year was tough missing the Cup race due to weather, so I feel like this track owes me a bit and I'm looking for a little redemption. This is the racing I grew up doing - side-by-side and a little rough. The short tracks this year are where we have been the most competitive at as a team and we've been improving at the most. So I look forward to these weekends.
"On Thursday I'm running in Denny's (Hamlin) charity race at Southside Speedway. I've never ran a Limited Late Model before, but these events are so much fun. Denny has been a huge help to me this season, so anything I can do to help him and his charity is important."