JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES On the Chase "The season seems to be split in two segments, the first twenty-six races and then the final ten. We are judging our season off the performance of the first half and then the performance of the second half....
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
On the Chase
"The season seems to be split in two segments, the first twenty-six races and then the final ten. We are judging our season off the performance of the first half and then the performance of the second half. The first part, you look at how you've done and then hope to accomplish what you want in the last ten."
Racing at Richmond
"I like Richmond, it's probably one of my favorite places, and obviously we won there, which always makes it your favorite. There is something about the little, not really short track, but it seems like a short track, under the lights. I drive every lap as hard as I can go. I don't know how much harder I can run. I just think that guys will be taking chances on pit road with staying out and working with tires.
"It should be a good race for the fans, I don't know if it's going to be good, bad or different for the teams, though. I'm not going to predict anything crazy going into it, as far as people wrecking each other or anything like that. I think it's going to be good racing at Richmond.
"We came into Richmond last year as the underdog, then came back and won the race that helped get us in the top 10. This year we don't really have that pressure, but we still have to run hard week-in and week-out and we've got to get good finishes. We had a great test there a couple weeks ago-the car was good. We're just going in there to win the race and get all that we can."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT RICHMOND
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 24th career visit to Richmond International Raceway. He has one win, three top fives, six top 10s and 174 laps led at the track.
* Mayfield earned his best career start of seventh and raced to his first career victory at Richmond in the fall race in 2004.
RACING INTO RICHMOND
* After starting 15th at Richmond earlier this year, Mayfield raced within the top 10 for the majority of the day before finishing 13th overall on the board.
* Mayfield was ranked 16th in the NASCAR Nextel Cup standings after the first Richmond race in 2005. Going into this weekend, Mayfield is ranked sixth, only 31 points out of fifth.
* The No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger team tested a new car at Richmond International Raceway last Monday and Tuesday, August 29-30. The team focused mainly on the cars handling over long race runs, working on shock and suspension geometry. After the two day test, Mayfield was happy with the consistency and speed on long runs.
* Since the beginning of August, Mayfield has moved from eight to sixth place in the NASCAR Nextel Cup standings.
* After his victory at Michigan, Mayfield assumed the sixth position in the NASCAR Cup Series rankings for the first time in his career since February of 2000.
* Mayfield has never ranked higher than sixth after 25 races in a Cup season. The last time he ranked this high so late into a season was in 1998, when he alternated between sixth and seventh in the standings throughout the final 14 races of the season. He finished the season a career-high seventh-place ranking.
400 LAP SPRINT TO SET 2005 CHASE
* Mayfield will clinch a position in the NASCAR Nextel Cup standings if he finishes 39th or better at Richmond, regardless of any other driver's performance. He moved to seventh in the points standings and is just 76 points out of the fifth spot in the standings.
* Mayfield's current point total of 3,073 is 70 points greater than his total after 25 races in 2004. Mayfield qualified for the 2004 Chase for the Nextel Cup by just 22 points after a thrilling victory at Richmond.
* Mayfield has climbed from a low rank of 26th after Las Vegas to a season-high seventh-place ranking.
LEAVING NOTHING ON THE TABLE
* Mayfield ranks second on the Nextel Cup circuit in laps completed (99.3%) among drivers who have competed in every race this year. Mayfield has finished 18 of 25 races on the lead lap, and he has only one DNF in 2005.
MAYFIELD WINS AT MICHIGAN!!!
* Mayfield scored his fifth career NASCAR Nextel Cup victory in his 368th career start in the GFS Marketplace 400 at Michigan International Speedway.
* The victory was Mayfield's second win at Evernham Motorsports, and his first career win at Michigan.
* The win marked the first time in team history that two Evernham Motorsports teammates had each won a Nextel Cup race in the same season.
* The win was also the first Dodge Charger victory at MIS since Richard Petty drove to the checkered flag in August, 1975.
2005 CAREER BESTS
* Mayfield earned his fifth NASCAR Nextel Cup victory at the two-mile Michigan Int'l Speedway in August.
* Mayfield's fourth place finish at Indianapolis was a career-high finish at the historic track. Mayfield also notched a career-best finish at Talladega when he finished fourth there in April, and he tied his career-best seventh place finish at Infineon Raceway in June.