Reed Sorenson, No. 41 Target Dodge Target Team Fast Facts: * New Car Chief: Jeff Vandermoss has joined the Target team to serve as car chief. He was previously the crew chief for the No. 40 Dodge for the first seven races of '06 and...
Reed Sorenson, No. 41 Target Dodge
Target Team Fast Facts:
* New Car Chief: Jeff Vandermoss has joined the Target team to serve as car chief. He was previously the crew chief for the No. 40 Dodge for the first seven races of '06 and prior to coming to Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates served as car chief for Matt Kenseth's championship winning team. Steven Lane, who was the car chief, has assumed crew chief duties for the No. 40.
* Phoenix Phacts: Sorenson has one top-five starting position and one top-10 finish at Phoenix International Raceway in two Busch Series starts at the one-mile track, both of which came last November. This weekend's NEXTEL Cup Series event will mark his first start at the track in NASCAR's elite division.
* Movin' on Up: For the second consecutive race, Sorenson and the Target team gained valuable positions in the NEXTEL Cup Series points standings. After their 13th-place effort in the last event at Texas Motor Speedway, the Target team moved up five positions to 19th. They are 43 points behind 15th and 144 outside of the top-10.
* Testing: The No. 41 Target team tested last Tues. and Wed. at Richmond International Raceway in preparation for the upcoming NEXTEL Cup Series race at the track on May 6.
* Chassis: Crew Chief Jimmy Elledge and the Target Team have selected chassis #306 for this weekend's race at Phoenix. This will mark the first race for the car in '06, but it ran three times in '05 with driver Casey Mears at Las Vegas (seventh-place finish), Darlington (39th) and the second Phoenix race (22nd).
* Rookie Round Up: Sorenson is currently tied with J.J. Yeley for fourth position in the Raybestos Rookie of the Year standings with 61 points. He trails leader Denny Hamlin by only 10 points. Sorenson has captured rookie of the race honors in two of the seven races run in '06 (Atlanta -- 10th-place finish, Martinsville -- 12th).
* Busch Series Update: Sorenson finished 19th in the last Busch Series event at Nashville Superspeedway after cutting a tire while running in second place with five laps remaining. The No. 41 Discount Tire team is currently 17th in the standings and only 90 points out of the top 10.
* Discount Tire Appearance: Reed Sorenson will stop by the Discount Tire store located at 13213 W. McDowell Road in Goodyear, Ariz., to meet with area race fans and to sign autographs from 5 to 6:30 p.m. MST Wednesday, April 19. For more information, please call 623.547.3061.
Reed Sorenson on Phoenix International Raceway...
"Everyone on the Target team is looking forward to getting back on track after a weekend off. Well, they had the weekend off anyway. Really, we've been running strong the last couple of races, and all year for that matter, and we're all anxious to keep it going.
"We tested the car we're running this weekend at Richmond last week and determined it would be a good car for Phoenix. The track is challenging because the corners are relatively flat and somewhat different, and there is a dogleg on the backstretch. The keys to getting around Phoenix are getting the car to rotate in the center of the corners and have plenty of forward bite exiting. Those same traits are important at Martinsville and we ran well there, so I'm hoping the same will happen this weekend."