KEVIN HARVICK Harvick on a Hot Streak Heading into Phoenix HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (April 18, 2006) -- GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick heads to Phoenix International Raceway (PIR) this weekend as one of the hottest drivers on the NASCAR NEXTEL...
Harvick on a Hot Streak Heading into Phoenix
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (April 18, 2006) -- GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick heads to Phoenix International Raceway (PIR) this weekend as one of the hottest drivers on the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series circuit. Harvick has catapulted from the 23rd position up to ninth in the driver point standings over the last three races and couldn't be more pleased to have a one-mile track located in the "Valley of the Sun" next on his list.
Born and raised on the West Coast, the Bakersfield, Calif., native heads to PIR with a lot of experience on the one-mile surface even though he only has six Cup starts under his belt. Of those six starts, Harvick has one top-five and one top-10 finish after finishing fourth in the November 2004 race. His best start also came that year when he qualified fifth. Although Harvick has never led a lap in the Cup Series in Phoenix he still knows how to win there. He has won two NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series races behind the wheel of his own truck (2002, 2003).
Last year in the spring race at PIR, Harvick was well on his way to claiming a top-five finish when he ran out of gas on the last lap and fell to 19th. Then in the fall race another great run was ended when a bad alternator doomed his chances. The GM Goodwrench team had to change two batteries and Harvick wound up finishing 23rd. If all goes as planned for Harvick and company during Sunday's Subway Fresh 500, the only thing that may rival how hot this GM Goodwrench/Reese's race team is may be the "Valley of the Sun" itself.
"Phoenix is one of the tracks that I really look forward to," said Harvick. "We have always run really well there in all of NASCAR's series. We had a good top-five car last year in the spring race, before running out of gas on the last lap. Our program is much better now than we were when we raced out there last year, so I am really excited about this weekend."
Points of Interest...
* Runnin It...Team GM Goodwrench will race chassis No. 120, this weekend at Phoenix International Raceway. They ran this chassis in Martinsville on April 2nd and finished 7th after starting 26th. They also ran this chassis eight times last year. Bristol spring race (1st), Phoenix spring race (19th), Richmond spring race (5th), Dover spring race (25th), Richmond fall race (10th), New Hampshire fall race (10th), Martinsville fall race (15th), and the Phoenix fall race (23rd).
* Chase for the NEXTEL Cup...Kevin Harvick climbed from 12th to 9th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup point standings after his fifth place finish at Texas Motor Speedway. Harvick now sits 204 markers out of the lead making it his first appearance in the top-10 since he ranked 10th after the Michigan race last June.
* Track Stat...Kevin Harvick has six Cup starts at Phoenix International Raceway. Of those six starts, he has compiled a record of one top-five and one top-10 finish and winnings totaling $617,768.
* Laps Led/Laps Complete...Kevin Harvick has completed 1858 of 1875 laps (99.1%) in six Cup starts at Phoenix International Raceway. Of those 1858 laps complete, he has never led, but has been running at the finish in all six starts.
* Avg. Start/ Avg. Finish...Kevin Harvick's average starting position at Phoenix International Raceway is 16.3 with his best qualifying effort coming in 2004 when he started fifth. Harvick's average finishing position is 19.0 with his best finish coming in 2004 as well, when he finished fourth.
* Former PIR Winner...Kevin Harvick has two wins (2002 and 2003) in NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series competition at Phoenix International Raceway.
* Back in Silver and Black...Kevin Harvick will be back behind the wheel of the No. 29 GM Goodwrench silver and black race car this weekend in Phoenix. The orange Reese's colors will don the hood again in Talladega, Ala., on Sunday, April 30th.
* Victory Lane Savings Promotion.... GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick kicked-off a promotion on Sunday, April 9th at Texas Motor Speedway in which GM customers and NASCAR fans have a chance to cash in on a $10 rebate when the No. 29 GM Goodwrench/Reese's Chevrolet, driven by Kevin Harvick, reach Victory Lane. Throughout the remainder of the 2006 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series season, anytime the No. 29 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS is first past the checkers, the first 5,000 people who visit www.Goodwrench.com starting at 3 a.m. Eastern Daylight time the Monday after the win can celebrate with a $10 mail-in rebate on a customer-paid Goodwrench service(s) and/or part(s) on a GM vehicle from a participating GM Goodwrench dealership in the United States.
* A New Partnership...The 2006 NASCAR season has a new look as Reese's joins forces with GM Goodwrench to sponsor the No. 29 team in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series. With the success that both of the sponsors have enjoyed over the years, one could only imagine what the No. 29 GM Goodwrench/Reese's Chevrolet has in store for 2006. GM Goodwrench will hold the primary paint scheme for 24 races and Reese's will run the remaining 13 races.
* Start time... On Saturday April 22nd, the running of the Subway Fresh 500 is set to begin at 8:00 p.m. Eastern on FOX. If you can't catch the race on TV, it can be heard on your local MRN Radio affiliate and XM Satellite Radio -- Channel 144 starting at the same time. Remember to check your local listings as dates and times of the race may change.
No. 29 GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick on Phoenix International Raceway...
What are your thoughts about racing under the lights at PIR?
"I think it is great for the fans. They should see a great event. When we first raced under the lights there, the big thing was how much, if any, the track will change. We have raced here when we have run right at sundown and the track didn't change a whole lot. I am really looking forward to it. We need a few more good runs like we have had."